Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 May 2000 01:40:59 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pop Tops - open and shut/Don't do this:

Here's a DON'T in the world of pop top raising and lowering.

I guess my cable assist mechanism is shot. I use the "rest the top on your head" method of pulling in the canvas.

But Don't do the following:

The DPO showed me a "great" trick which turned out to be detrimental. To lower the top he closed all the windows and doors and then released the open top and let it drop down. The canvas billows out as a result of the vacuum (or whatever) and the top very slowly drops as the pressure releases. This gives you time to pull in the canvas at the sides when the top gets low enough. The PROBLEM is the rear of the canvas billows out where you can't reach or see it from inside. And then the top closes on a bit of it leaving some of it exposed to the elements-- Not enough that I could see it though. So after last winter when I poped up the top the rear had mold on it and the canvas was weakened and split. Now I'll have to patch it.

The DPO also showed me how the radio covers up the sound of a bad tranny. But he didn't exactly explain that one was a "trick". Lesson: Never trust a guy who works for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

Jeff 83.5 Westy NYC