Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 May 2000 13:21:00 -0700
From:         Robert Dalton <rvdalton@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC head pressures
Comments: To: WFryer <william.fryer@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>

It sounds to me like your shop knows what they're doing. I've seen flexible hoses blow when you push 300 psi. With your evaporator in the back, I've heard it's hard to get the cooling up to the driver without a helper fan.

I think you were smart to go with R12. My 80 Westy would cool great on some of the drop in replacement refrigerants, but the cooling would be gone in a couple weeks. One theory says the newer refrigerants' smaller molecules leak through imperfections in the old hoses. This seemed to be true of mine, because R12 was the only refrigerant that worked long term. How much did your shop chaege for the R12?

Rob Dalton rvdalton@yahoo.com

--- WFryer <william.fryer@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> wrote: > I'm looking for good information/advice on AC. I > have an '86 Syncro with a > Sanden 510 Compressor (I think that the number - > it's the big 5 cylinder > one - I know, I had to replace it). I just had to > replace the main high > pressure hose and get the system flushed and > refilled. Still R-12 since I > need the efficiency - I live where it's hot, Las > Vegas. Anyway, the AC > repair place - supposedly the best one in town, is > not inclined to put the > full 50.75 oz. of R-12 in called for in Bentley. > First they put in about > 2.5 lbs, and today another 6-8 oz. The uncertainty > is due to the way they > measure - they say their eqiupment times the > injection length and they > compute from that, but aren't exactly sure what that > gives them. What they > do do is watch head pressures. Today, about 80 > Fahrenheit ambient, the head > pressure after the addition was 225 psig. They told > me it would probably > get up to 250 psig when temperatures climb over 100. > They say this is as > high as they want to push it. The previous place > had been pushing it up to > 300 psig. Bentley doesn't say. It works good now, > but it always does under > 100 degrees. It's over 100 that it really needs the > best efficiency. > Anybody know the answer?? >