Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 May 2000 13:17:01 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: The Trans/MTL saga continues... :-(

On 2 May 2000, at 15:33, k1cajun@pipeline.com wrote: > > Shawn Wright <swright@MAIL.SLS.BC.CA> wrote: > > A call back to Autospiel to clarify his "warranty" (which seems to > > have evaporated): Russell states that he warranties his work, not > > necessarily parts, but he will cover work required to fix errors in > > his labour. > > Sorry, don't know about the bearing, but as for his warranty: > > Did he charge any markup on the parts ? If so, then he should also > warranty the parts. If he charged you what the FLAPS would have > charged, then it's as if you brought the part to him and paid to > have it installed. Of course, if he charges you retail price, > that doesn't mean he isn't getting a discount and still marking up > to retail. But did he charge retail+ ? This is IMHO of course, but that's been the policy of any mechanic that I ever deal with. If > not, I go elsewhere.

This is a very good point. According to the FLAPS where he got it, I can buy the pinion bearing for $167. He charged me $238. So it appears there is plenty of room for warranty here... I will call him back and see what his take is on this situation.

I wish I had gone elsewhere, but it's too late now... :-(

About all I can hope is that at some point he will decide to do the right thing and honour his warranty. How anyone can think that spending $1200 for a repair job that lasts 6000 km is an acceptable situation is beyond me.

How about local list members? Several of you recommended Autospiel last year. Do any of you have ideas on how I might persuade him to make good on this?

======================== Shawn Wright Computer Systems Manager Shawnigan Lake School http://www.sls.bc.ca swright@sls.bc.ca