Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 May 2000 14:56:01 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      AutoSpiel - Victoria, BC - request for comments

Sorry to keep beating this one folks, but this is a summary for those locals who may have knowledge of Autospiel in Victoria, BC, as it was suggested that I recap things in this confusing saga: (If you've not dealt with Autospiel, please feel free to delete)

Here goes: - June 99 I approached Autospiel for a rebuild, on the recommendation of some listmembers, and others. He quoted me $1000-1500CDN for a rebuild, with a one year warranty. - the warranty was important, because I could get a rebuild from several list members for ~$800US with at least a one year warranty. - not wanting to deal with pulling the trans and transport to/from the US, I decided to have him do it. - 2 days later, picked it up, $1050 before tax. Pinion and mainshaft front bearings were replaced, remainder said to be in good shape. It ran great, so I was happy. - by August, I was starting to notice a slight whine again, much like before the rebuild, but much quieter. Then the waterpump went, so I fixed it and decided to park it for the winter, forgetting about the trans noise. - 3 weeks ago, I start driving again, and noticed the whine is there, and over the next 2 weeks or so, appeared to be getting worse. About a week ago, I noticed an oil leak - red - indicating Redline MTL from the trans. - I called AutoSpiel on Monday and took it in. - driving at no more than 70km/h he immediately agreed the noise was not normal. - we discuss warranty, and I find out that he is not prepared to honour his one year warranty. The warranty is not printed on the invoice, but he does not dispute the one year warranty he verbally told me. He claims that it only covers labour, and mistakes that he made. -I called back later, realizing that I had not discussed whether he would fix the oil leak under warranty. He agreed to do this, but of course still would charge me parts and labour to fix the source of the noise, although he may split the labour cost. -I confirmed that he got all parts from BowWow, and the bearings in question are marked up at least 70% over the price that I could buy them for at retail. -Given this markup, I think he has sufficient margin in this job to cover the full repair under his original one year warranty, otherwise, why would he be marking up the parts by 70% when I can literally walk down the street and buy them for much less? His markup should cover the rare case of failure between 6 months and 1 year, as I see it.

That's about it for now. I've also contacted the Consumer Protection Branch, and the Small Claims Court to see what my options are, by really hope I don't have to use them. I just want my van working again, and don't feel I should pay twice for the same job.

So any locals who have any knowledge of Autospiel, or any opionions on how I should proceed next, please let me know.

Thanks very much.

======================== Shawn Wright Computer Systems Manager Shawnigan Lake School http://www.sls.bc.ca swright@sls.bc.ca