Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 May 2000 12:13:39 -0700
From:         Steve Sullivan <Steve@NORTHWESTWATCH.ORG>
Subject:      fuel tank problems

Ok. I've only put two tanks of gas in my 84 van now, each time the nozzle (different gas stations) didn't shut off and fuel sprayed out all over. Fun.

I can't find a fuel leak. Haven't dropped the tank to check, just tried to look in on top of the tank through the front wheel wells. Parked it on steep hills both up and down with a full tank and didn't see any leaks. Smelled fumes after the last time it overflowed coming from the driver's wheel well, could see no actual fuel leak. All other visible fuel hoses are OK, no leaks. Just replaced fuel pump and all engine hoses. Not sure yet what my mileage is, van runs fine otherwise.

Questions: Does pressure have anything to do with why the nozzles won't shut off?

What would be causing the fuel nozzle to not shut off? What should I look for?

Should there be a noticeable pressure change when you take the fuel cap off, like on my 86 Honda? There is none on the van. This makes me think that I've got a air leak, maybe on top of one of the expansion tanks that is causing a loss of pressure in the tank system which is causing the overflow when fueling? Or would that be unrelated?

Any help on what I should do appreciated. I'm going to alaska in a few days for the summer and need to be able to fill the tank without spilling lots of gas each time.

Thanks!!

Steve