Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 May 2000 12:37:27 -0700
From:         Nicholas Wilson <nwilson@MCN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Gas tank capacity
Comments: To: Adam Puzerewski <puzerewski@EMAIL.MSN.COM>

Hi Adam,

The stock gas tank holds 16 gal. How much gas does it usually take you to fill it up? Maybe you're being too cautious and filling up when you still have four gallons or so left. How does your gas gauge relate to how much is actually in the tank. I know my gauge is unreliable, and I have a new gauge sending unit on order from Bus Depot, along with grommets and gaskets, so I can drop the tank and try to stop the gas leaks that happen if I fill the tank all the way. I've already replaced all the rotted-out vent hoses that connect to the expansion tanks in the wheel wells.

What kind of mileage are you getting under various conditions? If you're getting 250 miles on a tank, even if you were using all 16 gallons, that's 15.6 mpg. If you used 14 gallons for your 250 miles that's 17.9 mpg, and I'd be jealous.

I have an '82 Westy with California fuel and exhaust, meaning breakerless ignition and O2 sensor. I get pretty poor mileage, ranging as low as 12 mpg at 7000 ft. on dirt roads in 2nd and 3rd gears, but never more than about 16 mpg on the highway. This is with a new engine and transaxle, and I thought something was wrong with the fuel system or ignition timing. I've since heard that this is pretty typical mileage for the air-cooled Vanagon Westy. If you look at the specs in the Bently manual, you'll see that the compression ratio is quite a bit lower in the air-cooled than in the water-cooled engines used later. Lower compression reduces the efficiency of the engine, which translates to poorer mileage, but it's a compromise they had to make to avoid pre-detonation due to the hotter-running air-cooled engine.

I carry two 5 gal. low-profile gas cans in the luggage rack when I head for the mountains. That increases my range at least 120 miles.

--Nick '82 Westy, '88 Jetta, VW camper owner since '67 Mendocino CA

At 02:01 PM 5/3/00 -0400, you wrote: >Has anyone adapted their fuel tank(s) so that you hold more than the >standard tank? I am getting about 250 a tank, and that just is not far >enough. Any help is appreciated. > >Adam Puzerewski >81 westy