Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 May 2000 13:33:44 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      AutoSpiel Update (Victoria, BC)

For the benefit of those local to Victoria, and to be fair to AutoSpiel, I thought I should post an update on my failed trans story:

Yesterday AutoSpiel agreed that he would pull the trans and inspect for the cause of the noise at no cost to me. If the cause was related to his workmanship or parts, he would cover the entire labour bill to fix it, but I would pay parts. If the cause was not related to his work (which I think is unlikely), then I will foot the bill, or choose to abandon the trans at that point. Since he has agreed to cover the cost of R&R to fix an oil leak, I can use this as a sort of "credit" toward any costs that I may have to incur.

I think this is reasonable, but I am still disturbed by the time it took to get this out of him, and his reluctance to even admit the possibility of him making a mistake. Maybe mistakes are very rare - they probably are given his good reputation. But his reluctance, and the fact that he still clings to his belief that Redline MTL may be the cause really bothers me. I spent a lot of time reading up on API GL codes last night, and have no doubt that MTL meets the factory GL-4 80W spec to a tee. Russell at Autospiel seems hung up on the fact that "Hypoid" is not stated on the Redline bottle, but this is irrelevant, as the very basis of the GL-4 spec is that it is designed to meet the EP requirements of Hypoid gears (so is GL-5). What's more, by installing Pennzoil GL-5, he is not following factory guidelines and subjecting his customers to increased syncro wear. Redline, Mobil and Amsoil all make mention of this fact on their websites.

I'm amazed that he hasn't had complaints - I put Castrol GL-5 75W90 in last night, and the trans now shifts very poorly compared to MTL, and it even seems to sap some power from engine!

ps: Yes, I drained the MTL and found quite a lot of metal on the plug, some of it flakes 1-2mm in length... :-( I should know next week how bad it is.

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I appreciate it.

======================== Shawn Wright Computer Systems Manager Shawnigan Lake School http://www.sls.bc.ca swright@sls.bc.ca