Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 May 2000 08:32:09 -0400
From:         Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine Rebuilding Questions
Comments: To: Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>

Marshall Ruskin wrote: > > Hi Volks: > > I am interested in learning about VW engine rebuilding. > > It seems like the only written source is for air cooled engines. Therefore, > I have two questions: > > 1. Can I learn enough by studying an air cooled manual to do a > watercooled 1.9 L engine? > > 2. Does the UK Haynes Transporter manual discuss this, at a newbie > level - and if so, is it sufficiently detailed? > > Thanks in Advance! > > Marshall Ruskin > 84 Westy "Iron Igloo" > Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada > Founding Member of "Vanagon's Anonymous"

Marshall Ruskin wrote: >It seems like the only written source is for air cooled engines do you mean besides the manuals like a how to book not that I know of there is a big gap in between the manuals and the real world info needed to do the job for instance 1) the gasket sets are european sets and there are seals and gaskets missing for the vans sent to the USA 2) the big end of the rods distort over time and thats hard to measure without the proper tools and will sorten the life of the engine to months instead of years 3) the crank specs have only been added to the latest bentley book but they are in metric 4) the never ending lifter-valve adjustment problem will never be corrected or spoken of in any manual 5) replacement and repair guide lines for parts 6) part numbers would be a great help 7) rebuilder tricks and tips to handle the common problems that come up Bob http://www.bostonengine.com