Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 May 2000 07:16:39 -0400
From:         Scott Grillo <scottgrillo@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Picking up '87 Westfalia...
Comments: To: Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>

This past fall I did a similar thing, flew to Reno and drove my 'new' Vanagon Carat to Connecticut. I didn't have the luxury of bringing a lot of things (and if it had died on I-80 in the wilds of Wyoming, I doubt I'd been able to get it fixed. That being said, my advise:

1 - Make sure you've had a good pre-buy inspection from a reputable mechanic. I did this with mine, and discovered a bad waterpump (which was only 6 months old). Glad it was replaced before I got to NV.

2 - Bring your Bentley. Even if you have a mechanic, odds are he doesn't have the book for a Vanagon! I packed mine, luckily didn't need it.

3 - Bring cash and plastic!

Seriously, If you've inspected before going, you shouldn't have a problem. I made sure I checked all fluids on every stop for gas (obvious thing to do with a new car that you're not familiar with), tracked the gas mileage and the inflation of the tires.

Good Luck, and post pictures. Also, don't forget to enjoy the ride. (Lucky dog, a Westy, All I had was a weekender back seat to sleep in....)