Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 May 2000 09:47:06 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Misses when hot and under load, any RPM
Comments: To: David <david@RENAISSANCE-DESIGN.COM>

Erratic (erotic?) missing is almost always an ignition problem.

1. Replace points (if any) with BOSCH points. 2. Replace plugs with BOSCH of the correct heat range. The platinum and multi-point plugs are nice, but not necessary for great operation. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER BRAND THAN BOSCH. You have been warned. 3. Thoroughly clean cap and rotor, or replace with BOSCH. 4. If it has been more that 45 k, or the wires look old and tired, or if you see sparks jumping off them when you view the motor in the dark (no joke, best test for leaky wires) replace the wires. 5. Set timing. 6. Run a bottle of Chevron Techron through the fuel system to eliminate any fuel injector gremlins.

No more erratic missing.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Mount Olive, NC USA 877.658.1278 tollfree

"I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis incen dium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! -Wonka

-----Original Message----- From: David [SMTP:david@RENAISSANCE-DESIGN.COM] Sent: Friday, May 05, 2000 9:31 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Engine Misses when hot and under load, any RPM

My last post described my 82 dieing while driving and then started on the first try once I stopped.

I have since noticed that it is indeed missing periodically. I have narrowed it down to only when I have been driving 20min or more around town and it is under a load. I thought I was going to breakdown a mile from work because I got nothing when I hit the gas, so I pulled over and it idled fine. I reved it a bit and didn't notice anything. I then pulled back onto the road and it ran OK, only missing a few times.

I have shells for my shotgun or order and will be replacing the cap. rotor, wires and plugs this afternoon (I am travelling and have limited tools, I can do these replacements in 1hr at my hotel). Any thoughts on what else to check or replace??

David

PS. I tried the WD-40 to check vacuum leaks and didn't seem to find any, so either WD-40 doesn't work very well or I don't have any big leaks.