Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 May 2000 10:24:40 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Tacho installation: wiring

I wonder why Americans call a speedometer a "speedo" but shorten tachometer to "tach"?

I have an instrument cluster en route from the Bus Depot to New Zealand, for fitment to my 84 Caravelle. This 84 has no tacho; I'm not sure what year US it's equivalent to, probably 84!

I have to assume that my vehicle's instrument wiring will be essentially the same as US versions, as I don't have access to Australian or European manuals, only the Bentley, which came with my van. But it doesn't have an oxygen sensor light.

David Beierl's instructions "here's a circular list. First column is where..." seems selfcontradictory; the columns are labelled by year-model 1) 80-84, 2) 85+, 3) 85+, but the text says that the columns are 1) where wire used to be 2) where it (wire) goes 3) where displaced wire needs to go. Can you please clarify this? (maybe I'm just dense!). Haven't tried the archives yet.

I repeat Jeffrey R's question: does anyone know whether the 84 and earlier fuel and temperature senders are calibrated correctly for these later instruments?

What is needed to get the oil buzzer working on 80-84 buses? This is a great feature, as it's almost certain that the driver won't see the oil light's duly glow until the engine begins to clatter...unless it's nighttime.