Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 May 2000 08:34:33 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: Re: Instant Horsepower?
Comments: To: CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET

As BMW used to say in their advertising, "high horsepower may move them out of the showroom but high torque is what moves them out on the street".

USA model 1986 325 is likely an E, not I. The E had a lower redline and the I of that era turns something like 1500 rpm more. This is where the added HP can be easily found, chipping the 325E to rev above the stock redline. No magic here.

Vanagons need more power for sure but they need it in the low and mid range due. The stroked 2.1 has much more torque than the 1.9 and this is the simplest answer to your request.

Mark

Terry Kay wrote: > > Subject: Re: Instant Horsepower? > Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 08:59:14 -0500 (CDT) > From: CTONLINE@webtv.net > To: lindgre@online.no (Per Lindgren) > > PerL, > WOW!! Why don't the ship those cars here? > What amazes the heck out of me I ask a simple question,and some > unbelieving mad men on the list start telling me I'm nuts! > They just don't believe the Eta engine,with a simple chip change is > capable of instant horses. > I know that the water-boxer can do better, without paying the national > debt,and somehow, someway I'm going to find it. > Have you ever tried to pass someone on a two lane highway, with the wind > blowing at you ,with a semi- truck coming at you, with your foot mashed > to the floor, praying to God that you get passed the fool that`s doing > 40 mph in a 65 mph area, before you become a hood ornament on the front > of the Peterbuilt? > I love my Vanagon, but the 1.9,needs a little help, without doing some > kind of "Bizarre" engine swap, which then causes the van to become some > sort of Morphodite. > Thanks for the knowledgable response. > > Terry > 85 GL > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > Subject: Re: Instant Horsepower? > Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 14:58:22 +0200 > From: Per Lindgren <lindgre@online.no> > To: CTONLINE@webtv.net > References: <12115-3914F421-177@storefull-134.iap.bryant.webtv.net> > > Not more than 121 hp in a stock 86 325i? That was modest to say the least > :-). The Euro 325i has got 170! A neighbor just finished a Turbo install on > his 88 325i, he's got 250 hp now. Boy is that one quick! > > PerL > > Terry Kay wrote: > > > I own ( besides my Vanagon) a 86 BMW 325, and the factory HP is rated at > > 121. > > I added a power chip to the computor, and now it puts out about about > > 140 HP. > > Big performance difference. > > My question is, is there such a thing available for the Vanagon? > > Boy, would it be neat to replace a chip and gain, maybe 20- 30 horses. > > Another interesting concept. > > Terry > > > > 85 GL