Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 May 2000 03:02:36 +0200
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Something strange happened....
Comments: To: Syncro <Syncro@onelist.com>

...To the tranny, but I don't know what! The story is this, I was driving along in the Syncro, it got the original tranny and the car has 191.000 kms on the meter. The shift has been a bit hard, but manageable.

So while driving along on Friday, it suddenly wouldn't go into 4th from 3rd. Instantly, I envisioned 1000 crown bills with wings on them, flying rapidly out of my already empty bank account. I pushed and puled the lever back and forth, let the clutch out in Neutral while revving, and tried 4th again. It went in gear as normal. I kept on driving, it was a bit of stop and go traffic, and I went through all gears. It was a bit hard to get into 3rd sometimes, 4th was better, and at one time, I couldn't get it over the "hump" to put it in R or G, even though I pushed the lever down. After I rolled backwards a couple of meters, it flipped over to the side, and I could put it in gear again. It behaved almost like normal the rest of the day.

On Saturday, I puled the rails under the engine/tranny and replaced the tranny oil. The stuff that was in there, yeech! It was gray and silvery, thin as water and that smell! Yuck!! I filled it up with 80w90 GL4 dino oil, and it shifted almost good again, at least not any worse, but much better. Not as good as new though.

This has made me think about this van, and considering other forms of transportation has also crossed my mind. I have several things that have been bothering me:

1, The tranny. I drive around in fear of the tranny going south. 2, The head gaskets. The engine does not leak (knock on wood) but I am afraid that it will start to do so. 3, The fuel consumption. It is a very expensive ride, especially with the gas prices here. Filling the tank to the cost of $90 two times a month is not much fun. 4, The tranny. It really bothers me, big time!

Other things that come to mind:

1, The lease is almost up. 2, I do not want to be stuck in the Syncro for the rest of my life, unlike many of you other guys and gals. 3, I am ready for a change, I am inclined to go lower, get a "normal" VW or Audi, I miss the Quattro I had some time ago. 4, I have also considered getting a T4 Transporter 2,4D Syncro, no too expensive if I buy a commercial van.

It is not the end yet, I have not made any decisions yet.

PerL 87 Syncro 112i