Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 2000 23:28:16 -0500
From:         k1cajun <k1cajun@PIPELINE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front Berings, Shocks and Rear Brakes
Comments: To: David Ricketts <david@RENAISSANCE-DESIGN.COM>

David Ricketts wrote:

> Quick question. I am having the front wheel bering done on my 82. I > just got new rotors that I was going to install later on. I just > realized that the bearings are pressed into the rotors (I think??) Is > this true?? If it is then it would make sense to install the rotors with > the new bearings.

Yes, the outer race of the bearing is pressed in. You don't need a special machine press to do it yourself, if your careful when tapping them in. Alternate sides, until you feel it seated. The metal sound should change in pitch. You could take the race out of the existing rotor and put it into the new one, but it's not advisable. Do it right first time.

Tom Carrington, a list member has info on the bearings at http://volksweb.relitech.com/vwtech.htm.

> Shocks. Looks like you need a spring compressor and a special tool to > get the front shocks out. Is this true?? How easy is it.

Haven't done it on my vans (yet), but I don't think so. Never needed to on cars I did replace shocks on. Just remove the upper nut, jack up the van and remove lower bolt. Tom's got tips on this too.

> Rear brakes. Looks like you just remove the wheel and the drums pry > off. Doesn't seem to make sense and I am a little disappointed in my > Bentley, but perhaps it is that simple. Comments??

If your shoes are tight against the drums, you may need to go in from the back and adjust them down a bit before the drum will slide off. I think the Bentley shows removal by taking off the castle nut and taking the lugs and flange off with it. I did it this way and it was a pain without the tool that you can get from Bus Depot, maybe other vendors too. But if the drum isn't rusted to the lug flange, or whatever it's called, then you may have success without undoing the castle nut.

Dave L.