Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 May 2000 21:11:34 -0400
From:         MLind <mdlind@RICA.NET>
Subject:      Help!-hiccupping 81 Westy

Hello all, thought someone might be able to shed some light on this for me. I recently purchased this van with bad compression, worn AFM, and several other small problems. I put in an AVP rebuilt engine and installed all new FI components plugs, wires, cap, rotor, Pertronics ignition, etc. except for the fuel pump. It got all new fuel lines, vacuum hoses, etc. Everything is new, basically except the distributor (I cleaned and relubed it), fuel pump, and idle stabilizer thing (on the manual trans only, says Bentley). I cleaned up the EGR valve and air distributor (thanks Bulley) cleaned each and every engine part, and spent several months getting everything into like new condition.

It runs great except it hiccups or mis-fires slightly at medium light throttle. It is not a severe mis-fire, just sort of a half-firing sort of feel. If I try to continue at the speed at which it hiccups, the van starts to surge slightly. It seems to be throttle position related. I have checked all the new FI components per Bentley (except whether the fuel enrichment is leaking) and they are all in spec. The fuel pressure reads just a tad high, but this could be my 8 year old fuel pressure gauge?). The Bus Depot replaced the first AFM and it is somewhat better, but still there. It is most prominent under light acceleration (17mph or so in 2nd, 28mph or so in 3rd, 37-38mph or so in forth. If I let off the throttle or give it 2/3 throttle or more it smoothes right out.

I have 900 miles on since the new stuff went on and am getting 16-17.5 mpg. The problem is that I don't want to go through life speeding up and slowing down. I want to go at a constant speed, and not have the hiccups.

Could I have gotten two bad AFMs? Is there more of a test for the AFM that I can do? Any ideas, anyone? Myron Lind 81 Westy