Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 2000 00:27:34 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      '87 Colorado Westfalia has new home in SF...

Thanks for all the advice about precautions and things to see and do enroute from Colorado. I was actually limited on time, so I made the approximately 1,000 mile drive from Grand Junction CO to San Francisco in about two days.

This van was purchased in an Ebay auction, but I exercised due diligence and did lots of research on the vehicle before I bid on it, including positing questions to this list. My new van is the same metallic blue color as that of "Roy O's", who is now apparently selling his. Except for the wheels (I have the alloys), our vans are identical. (well, his looks "pristine," whereas mine simply looks "used")

Anyway, about the trip home:

The van ran flawlessly the entire trip. I averaged 65 - 75 mph all the way home, except for a few grades in the Sierras where I had to slow down a bit. Temp stayed pegged right in the center of the range, and the coolant level remained constant. The fabled 3rd-4th shift "issue" is apparently not in evidence on my van, as it shifted great through all gears. According to the maintenance records going back to the first owner, this is still the original, untouched tranny, so I guess I'm lucky so far. Mileage was as high as 23mpg, but I think I achieved this by driving in the draft of a big rig across the Nevada desert this morning.

This van has a VW-remanufactured engine with about 17K on it, and it looks and runs like it. The only thing not stock is the muffler, which looks like a performance unit of some type. It sounds good, anyway! I was pleasantly surprised at the low noise and high power output of the WBX relative to my '82 air-cooled van. This powertrain does a lot for driving satisfaction. I found the power to be good at 5,000 ft altitude, and when I finally made it home to SF and sea level, I was REALLY impressed! These late vans seem to have no problem in normal traffic, and they can even accelerate a bit when they have to! (not so my '82 air-cooled!)

Short-term projects planned for this vehicle include:

Removal of worn, ugly, brown (chrome) plastic window mouldings (as per current discussion thread) R/R of R/H power window mechanism R/R of R/H door mirror (PO replaced power mirror with early Vanagon type) New front brake rotors (pulsating pedal) Decent speakers and radio Thorough shampoo of all upholstery, carpeting and headliner (all of which are in perfect condition, just a bit soiled)

I plan to leave the mechanicals alone, other than routine maintenance. The van has been well-cared for up to now, which I will continue.

Expect many posts in the future about this '87...

...Dan