Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 2000 09:31:08 -0400
From:         John Fried <john@DATAKNIGHT.COM>
Subject:      Catalina 2500 Awning Installation

Yesterday our A&E Dometic Catalina 2500 awning finally arrived and I wasted no time getting it installed on our '85 Westy. Three van adaptor brackets were supplied in the kit and, while it said only two were needed, I installed all three. (The one awning I saw at EveryBus had all three brackets installed.) I had raised the top to make it easier to install the awning. Installation went fairly smooth until it came time to lower the top. It seems that the outer edge of the top hits the nut holding the awning case to the center bracket (just aft of the sliding door). It also might be hitting the nut at the rear bracket -- but it was getting dark and I wasn't about to open it up again. While I was able to "shift" the top enough to close it, I am concerned that repeated open/close cycles will eventually damage the top.

I will remove the offending nut & bolt tonight but I would like to hear from others who have installed this awning to their bus. Did you use two or three brackets? Did you secure the case to 1, 2 or 3 brackets? Any clearance problems? How did you solve them? Also, I'd be interested in any tips/tricks to use/care/etc. you may have found.

We really love the awning. Setup and takedown is easy and there is ample vertical clearance for my 6'1" frame. Now let it rain while we're camping...

John '85 Westy (no name...yet)