Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 2000 11:40:31 EDT
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Source for small auxiliary coolant pump? (oil cooler idea!)

In a message dated 5/9/00 6:49:34 AM, sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM writes:

<< Dear Karl,

Subaru makes a coolant pump that outputs 1800L/hr for their air/water intercooler -- expensive, but it is designed for your application.

Cheers, MJS

At 02:58 PM 5/8/00 -0400, Karl M wrote: >Never one to leave things alone, and in my search for the best oil cooling >for my TD, I have arrived at a new idea: Use the stock TD water-cooled oil >cooler, but instead of utilizing the already-hot coolant of the engine's >cooling system to try to control oil temps, build a secondary cooling system >dedicated to only the oil cooler. Install a small radiator in front of or >below the current factory unit (van has no AC), and use a small pump to flow >the coolant to and fro. I'll also add a temp switch to signal the pump to >operate only when oil temps exceed the desired amount. I figure this should >be a lot less strain on the oil system than running an air cooled oil cooler >up front, with 30 feet of hose. (My recent rear-mounted air cooled unit did >not control the temps in the high mt. passes of the west, neither did the >stock cooler) The only part I haven't found is a small coolant pump that >could be run constantly at 200 or so degree temps. I had thought of using >the ($$$) Audi aftercool pump from the turbo models, but that isn't really >designed to run more than a few minutes at a time. Any ideas or comments? >Thanks. > >Karl >'87 Syncro Westy 1.9 TD >

Michael J. Sullivan IPS "SWATteam" Architect Open Market, Inc. >>

This is not an elegant solution to the problem. To do it properly, more than just an H2O circulator (aka, pump), radiator and 30 FT of hose is needed. What about the pressurizer tank and an anticipator in the control circuit? Why continue to mix H2O with oil, so to speak, and add all that complexity? Admittedly, I know nothing about the physical configuration of a 1.9TD engine compartment but, it seems to me an adequately sized, forced air, oil-to-air heat exchanger should be able to fit within its confines.

A pertinent question may be: Is the stock cooling system and oil cooler working properly? After all, that large mass of coolant should be at the ideal temperature for the oil. Rich