Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 2000 10:16:12 -0700
From:         Mark Mages <wasserbox@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: BusDepot Fuel Tank, have you installed one?
Comments: To: Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>

There is another option - OEM parts. These are parts that are made to the same specifications as the VW parts, manufactured by the company who makes the parts for VW, but not mecessarily a VW logo. During my front end rebuild of the scirocco, I got a LOT of OEM parts. All my tie rods and bushings were manufactured by Febi/Bilstein. When you take out the original VW part guess which mfg is stamped next to the VW logo. Febi/Bilstein. The parts I got were 50% of the VW dealership price. Same part, occasionally the same part number, different price, NO (or fewer) MIDDLEMAN(men). My new rotors were made by ATE. You guessed it - so were the official VW rotors. Same part number, $50 less.

Not VW does not necessarily mean Not good. Getting a part from one of the list vendors is not the same as going down to AutoZone and grabbing something off the shelf that fits VW, GM and ford by some strange Iranian manufacturer that you can't pronounce. I have asked Ron why he discontinued some parts, and he told me that even though they worked on occasion, the quality wasn't up to his specifications.

People who focus primarily on VW, and rely heavily on their reputation have a better sense of quality than the buyer for Napa or AutoZone who sell parts in massive volumes, and rely on selling turtle-wax to pay the rent.

My .02 - worth what you paid for it

--- Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM> wrote: > At 11:16 AM 05/09/2000 -0400, you wrote: > >Looking for feedback on the Vanagon fuel tanks(1982 > Vanagon) from > BusDepot. Has anyone installed one and can you tell > me how it went and > what other parts you needed, i.e. grommets, hoses, > etc. > > > >Just for the record, I am not suggesting anything > negative about BusDepot, > in fact I have already gotton feedback that was very > positive WRT a > BusDepot tank. I just want to make sure I > thoroughly understand that it > fits and what is needed to complete the job before I > start. > > > >Someone has caused me to be concerned about > aftermarket tanks... > > Consider, how do you produce something for 1/3rd or > less the cost of a spec > part? Can you say, compromise? > > Will the stock part function as intended if properly > installed? Yes!! > Will the aftermarket item function as designed? > Maybe yes, maybe no?? > Will the stock part fit? Yes!! > Will the aftermarket item fit? Maybe yes, maybe no?? > Will the stock part last as long as the original? > Yes!! > Will the aftermarket item last as long as the > genuine article? Rarely!! > Will you save time/money over the long haul with > Genuine parts? Yes!! > Will you save time/money over the long haul with > wannabe parts? Rarely!! > > Today I am replacing an aftermarket water pump on a > MB 500SEC. How much did > he pay to have this one installed less than 2 years > ago? I don't know, the > owner has no receipts. How much will he pay me to > put things right with the > genuine parts, hoses and spec coolant? $700!! How > much was saved by the > prior compromise? Negative number in the hundreds > meaning wasted time/money. > > The answer to your question will be hard to come by, > 'cause no one who went > the cheap route and had poor results will want to > admit same. They will go > to great lenghts to justify the wisdom of their > compromises. Any problems > that develop will surely be blamed on > something/someone else. > > > > T.P. Stephens > San Juan Island, WA

===== Mark

87 Westfalia Gl 84 Scirocco 8v

http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/