Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 2000 15:58:16 -0700
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westie bought in England
Comments: To: Andrew Marshallsay <andrew_marshallsay@HOTMAIL.COM>

Andrew:

Welcome and congratulations on your new baby! Here's some comments, based on my experience so far:

> Polish the roof (rubbing compound, and then wax ?)

What color is your roof? If it is white, then rubbing compound is not the way to go, IMHO. Other colors are painted on, and rubbing compound may work, but the white tops are finished with some sort of gel coat. I have had good luck with lightly using a 3M Scotch Brite pad (they make different colors with different roughness), then following up with a good marine wax.

> 2nd battery and charging system

Tons of material on this in the archives. Your best bet may be to try and source the original German battery which fits in the compartment. The name of the battery escapes me at the moment (Sonneberg? Sonneshein?), but I am sure someone will chime in. The advantage being that it is made to fit (or the other way around) and it should be easier to come by for you than for us here in the States.

if you are into MP3 files in addition to regular CD's, check out the Aiwa CDC-MP3 player. http://www.aiwa.com/Catalog00/Products2.asp?id=94

> GPS

I have a Garmin GPS II+ that I am very happy with and got for about $199 USD

> Modify hookup to 240V ?

I'm no expert, but it stands to reason that your biggest challenge will be to change the receptacle inside the van, and change out the breaker to a 240v unit. I'll bet there's an adapter you can use for the outside receptacle so that you can use a US spec extension cord for hooking up (and the adapter would go between that and the shore power)

> Its not a Syncro

Think of all the money you will save! :-)

> Wish it had a grill under the hob

Huh????

> The wife hates it with a passion :-(

Why on earth would your wife hate it (other than the fact that you will be spending more time with the Westy than with her for the next week or two...) <g>

BTW, my wife only hated our Westy when she was pregnant - the seats don't recline far enough.

Cheers,

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

> -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf > Of Andrew Marshallsay > Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 1:54 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Westie bought in England > > > At the weekend I became the proud owner of a `87 Vanagon Westfalia. > > Nothing unusual there, but I am based in the UK, the vehicle > being exported > from California a few years ago. > > The Van seems in good condition, but a full service on Friday > will reveal if > I've bought wisely. > > The Van is in very original condition, I cannot see any > modifications that > have been made over the years. > There are lots of original Westfalia and California Emmision > stickers all > over the place. > > Once the service is complete, I've got a few things to keep me busy > Polish the roof (rubbing compound, and then wax ?) > 2nd battery and charging system > Install CD-autochanger > Charge the gas in the A/C > Fire up the fridge (nervously) > Rig up 12V TV & Video to the removable seat > GPS > Porta-potti > Purchase and stash all necessary camping gear > > Some things on the wish list > Modify hookup to 240V ? > 15" Wheels and tyres - aftermarket possible ? > Awning > > Regrets so far > Its not a Syncro > Wish it had a grill under the hob > The wife hates it with a passion :-( > > Any other Westie owners based in the UK out there ? > > Andy Marshallsay > '87 Westie > Winchester > England > Andrew.Marshallsay@bigfoot.com > ______________________________________________________________ > __________ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at > http://www.hotmail.com >

[text/html]