Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 2000 19:53:59 -0400
From:         Tom and Dana Cates <dcates1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: BusDepot Fuel Tank, have you installed one?
Comments: To: BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@infogenesis.com>

RE: BusDepot Fuel Tank, have you installed one?Brent,

It is currently resting comfortably in the basement, but I will go down there and check.

I wonder if the stock tank really does have baffles?

Tom 83 Vanagon Westfalia 'Hammurabi' ----- Original Message ----- From: BRENT CHRISTENSEN To: 'Tom and Dana Cates' ; 'vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM' Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 7:35 PM Subject: RE: BusDepot Fuel Tank, have you installed one?

Does it have internal baffles?

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

> -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf > Of Tom and Dana Cates > Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 4:09 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: BusDepot Fuel Tank, have you installed one? > > > Herr Doktor, > > I have one. > > I have not installed it yet, because, well because I don't > really relish the > idea of doing it. > > Sometimes on Fridays I fill her up. > > But maybe this weekend I will put it in. > > Tom Cates > 83 Aircooled Westfalia 'Hammurabi' > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Doktor Tim" <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 3:33 PM > Subject: Re: BusDepot Fuel Tank, have you installed one? > > > > At 01:30 PM 05/09/2000 -0400, you wrote: > > >You don't think an aftermarket company couldn't reproduce > a fuel tank for > > >less the $500? > > > > Not for $150 unless they use third world semi-skilled labor > and very cheap > > to ship lightweight metal. Compromise cum laude. > > > > It's a fuel tank. These are sold all over the world, not > > >just the tiny USA market. That's why they are cheap! > > > > No, they're cheap because every compromise was thought of > to meet the > world > > demands of fools, who are poor, and will remain so unless > they catch a > clue > > and begin to VERIFY before they buy what they are buying, > which is what > the > > respondent is trying to do. > > > > Some re-pros are better than > > >stock--they've seen where they have failed and are designed better. > > > > Interested in any data you have that supports that > statement. I know of a > > very few and rare examples, most of them Berg parts, but > then, those are > > ENHANCED materials and specifications and cost MORE than > dealer oem price > > in some cases. > > > > By all means Jay, respond to the individual who has asked > for the opinion > > of anyone with ACTUAL EXPERIANCE as to the installation of the tanks > > supplied by BusDepot. For a certainty, SOME aftermarket parts are > > uninstallable without modifications and some will not work right > regardless > > any attempt to install them and some are just flat not > installable and the > > worst are the ones you do get installed by hook or crook > and they fail and > > take more original parts with them. > > > > I would expect Ron would provide people with references to > clients he has > > shipped these particular tanks to. Any good business > person, like Ron, is > > not at all fearful of word of mouth reports. That's how you > tell a good > > business to deal with. The word of mouth in the vast majority is > possative. > > > > I agree that restoration of the genuine original tank is a > vastly superior > > idea to using anything designed to be cheap. But in the > instant case, the > > original was crushed and deformed and presumably not > repairable. As well, > a > > junkyard obtained and restored original tank is a way mo- > better idea than > > anything designed to be cheap. > > > > It will FOR SURE fit with NO HASSLES, guaranteed, 'cause > it's EXACTLY the > > same. > > > > What value hath certainty??? Differs between apes of all > kinds as your > > opinion compared to mine doth prove. > > > > > > > > > > T.P. Stephens > > San Juan Island, WA >

[text/html]