Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 2000 17:25:28 -0700
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westfalia cabinet molding...
Comments: To: Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>

Daniel:

Make no mistake, this is a serious topic and has been discussed before!

I think this is common among all of us (at least the later model gray interiors). There are two solutions AFAIK:

1. Remove and replace. According to a friend of mine that is a cabinet maker, this stuff is pretty standard issue and is called "T-moulding". The size is a bit unique (probably metric) but is should be available. Any catalog or supplier that carries furniture making stuff should be able to supply it.

2. Remove the moulding, soak in hot water, and stretch it out. Reinstall with light weight adhesive.

I plan to try #2 with my large table as soon as I have some free time. This way I can see how long it lasts before I tear into the rest of the van. (I've been saying this for a year)

BTW, all the moulding in my Westy shows about a 1/2 - 1" gap in all the ends.

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

> -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf > Of Daniel Schmitz > Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 5:00 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Westfalia cabinet molding... > > > This is probably a not-often-asked-for item, but the Westfalia gray > plastic (rubber?) moldings on many of my cabinets appear to > have shrunk > in size, in that they no longer extend over the length of the corner, > joint, or door aperture as they originally did/were supposed to. Thus, > my cabinet trim has an odd, ill-fitting appearance. The molding on my > A/C housing is even rippled as if temperature changes caused > it to warp > in place. > > My van came from Colorado, having spent all of its life there. > > Is this symptomatic of a dry climate? > > If so, will these moldings return to their original lengths > now that the > van lives in San Francisco? > > Are these moldings available anywhere, either in bulk or in pieces? > > Should I be asking about more serious Vanagon problems in > this forum? :) > > Thanx again, > > Dan > '87 Westfalia >

[text/html]