Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 May 2000 10:03:52 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: BusDepot Fuel Tank, have you installed one?
Comments: To: Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>

<Rant on>

At 00:56 5/10/2000, Doktor Tim wrote: >something specious. If you hold them to a serious specification the >Japanese can do very good work. I haven't yet received a Mercedes box with

If you hold them to a serious specification (if you can, which is another subject) you will get a part as good as your spec.

If give them a functional spec and let them do it their way, you will most likely end up with a part far superior to your best expectations. The Japanese are the absolute best in the world at refining a design for both function and reliability. They have no equal (I think I just said that). Show me a German VCR -- you can't, there aren't any. The design has essentially reached perfection in Japanese hands and it is pointless to try to improve on it further. I was (very) peripherally involved once in the 1981 design of a German VCR, and it was a *joke.* The great German engineers designed a cassette that ran at 72 inches per second past a fixed head, with a duration of three minutes. At the end of the three minutes, it reversed and stepped to the next track for another three minutes. By brute force, they had gotten the turnaround time to two tenths of a second, and considered that this would be acceptable for viewing. I think somebody bought one.

I helped build a German 5 1/4" floppy disk drive (names suppressed to protect the guilty, but it was the same outfit that did the VCR -- an extremely prominent and famous company). At the time, such drives were built in US, Japan, Germany. None of them were very good, but ours was terrible, and very expensive. It was mostly expensive because the Germans used an extremely expensive and wonderful ironless drive motor, with an expensive (and unobtainable) French control amplifier chip with built-in heat sink. It (the motor) would burn a hole in your finger if you tried to stop it. It used back-emf feedback for speed control, and achieved a control of +/- 5% (barely adequate at the time) at a cost of about $32.50. The Americans used a $3.50 motor designed for Motorola 8-track car stereos. It had a tachometer winding and was controlled by a $1 Cherry Semiconductor chip with no heat sink (and no need for one). You could stop it turning without breaking a sweat. It achieved +/- 2%. Nobody cared what the Japanese used because they were just getting started.

All of these drives routinely went out of alignment and needed adjusting -- maybe 20 minutes work with an oscilloscope and a special alignment diskette.

Three years later the outfit I worked for was buying TEAC Japanese drives with four times the capacity and one quarter the price of the ones I worked on. They used a printed-circuit motor that drove the spindle directly at 300 RPM, and had +/- 0.1% speed control. They never needed aligning. There were no American or German drives.

Phillips in the Netherlands built a dictating machine in 1957, using a novel tape format called a cassette. In order to stimulate demand, they very wisely kept rights to the design, but let anyone use it and build machines for it, with the specification that a Phillips cassette recorded on any machine must be readable on any other. The Japanese took this convenient but very much dictation-quality design and turned it into a hi-fi recording medium that completely replaced the reel-to-reel format for consumer use (they had some help, primarily from Ray Dolby).

<Rant off>

david David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"