Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 May 2000 07:47:35 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      Westfalia top color...

OK, so cabinet moldings ARE a legitimate discussion topic. Who knew?

Here's one that I KNOW nobody will care about:

My '87 Westfalia has the fashionable, color-coordinated fiberglass top, blue to match the metallic blue of the van. However, it's somewhat oxidized, and I'm debating whether to try to clean/wax it or paint it over. New seals are planned, regardless.

If I paint the top, I'm inclined to paint it white, for a couple of reasons:

a) The interior temperature would be reduced a bit due to the reflection of the top, thereby lessening the load on the AC and making the van more comfortable (for me, anyway)

b) A white top wouldn't look all that bad, IMHO, as the earlier Westfalias came that way. (and late Westfalias in silver have white tops, so there is precedent for it)

c) I can use readily available marine boat paint, which holds up well to the weather. I don't know if I can get fiberglass paint to match my current color, although I haven't researched it yet.

My questions for the group:

Would it be absolute heresy for me to have a white top on a late model Westfalia? Would I be forever barred from Vanagon social events because of my unwillingness to color within the lines? (Social acceptance is important to me, so I will carefully consider your responses)

If I go the paint route, is the original blue paint available for fiberglass applications? Or, more to the point, what kind of paint should I use, and can I get it mixed to match my van?

If I attempt to clean and wax the top, any recommendations on technique/wax?

I have painted the tops on earlier (Type 2) Westfalias and my '82 Adventurewagen white, and have been pleased with the results. But I realize that my current van will look somewhat unique with a white top, so I'm looking for feedback before taking the plunge.

Once again, any feedback to this topic is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan '82 Adventurewagen (soon to be on the block for sale) '87 Westfalia '75 Porsche 914

[text/x-vcard]

begin:vcard n:Schmitz;Dan tel;work:650-225-6119 x-mozilla-html:FALSE org:Genentech, Inc.;Automation Engineering adr:;;;;;; version:2.1 email;internet:djs@gene.com title:Technical Writer x-mozilla-cpt:;0 fn:Dan Schmitz end:vcard