Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 May 2000 10:31:50 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Instant horsepower (Pinwheel)
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>

At 01:31 5/8/2000, Karl Wolz wrote: >On the other hand, I've had several Fords, a Mercedes Benz, and several >other VWs and a Volvo, none of which lasted past 120,000 miles. When >finally gotten rid of, the doors did not close properly, windows rattled >badly, the seats and carpeting were worn out, and big chunks of plastic were >missing (like dash pieces, etc.), not to mention that most of the vehicles >in question were finally gotten rid of due to non-functioning trannies (I

This sort of experience reminds me of my BT (before Toyota) days. My '78 Horizon, my parents' '84 Escort, my aunt's 86 Sable, all were trash by 100 k. My friends' Foxes and Jettas are junk at 160k. My '84 Tercel was fine at 200k when I lost track of it (I sold it in '86), my '86 Corolla was in beautiful shape at 160k when my wife made an ill-advised left turn into oncoming traffic (and except for the bend in the middle, still looked great when they hauled it away). Our '90 Corolla wagon with 120 k looks and acts more-or-less new, and I have every expectation of it going 300k without serious troubles. My brother's '85 Subaru he junked because of body rot at 185k, but mechanically and interiorwise it was fine and we drove it for another 30,000 miles until we got tired of having the underbody rewelded. Still looked great, everything tight etc. except for the rot.

david David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"