Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 May 2000 13:37:59 -0700
From:         Otmar Ebenhoech <otlists@EVCL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help: Lights Wont Turn Off
Comments: To: tallsound@MY-DEJA.COM

At 8:01 AM -0700 5/10/00, tallsound@MY-DEJA.COM wrote: >Need help to solve this mystery problem from anyone with similar >experience or knowledge. > >I cannot get my parking lights,sidemarker lights,dashboard and >license plate lights to turn off when switch is turned off and key >is removed. > >So far have tried disconnecting the headlight/parking light switch. >(Lights remain on)and have removed the fuse which controls these >lights (dash board lights go off and passenger side parking and side >marker lights go off but left side parking/marker lights and the >license plate light remain on.) > >I have to disconnect the battery to save the drain. > >Got a clue?

I'd say you have a short from this circuit to B+.

I've never had this specific problem but I've diagnosed plenty of similar ones.

I've consulted the Holy Book (Bentley) and come up with this for your 89:

Your dash lights should have gone off when you pulled the light switch, not later when you pulled the fuse.If it really went exactly in the order described above then you have a very strange melting of wires behind the fuse panel, or our Holy Book is misguided. :-)

There are 3 fuses you need to pull. S20 controls the licence plate light. S7 which controls the left side running lights, and S8 which controls the right ride running lights (I'm assuming this is the one you pulled).

Pull S20 and S7. If the lights go off then you have a short in your fuse panel or the wires to the light switch.

If one of the lights stays on then you have a short to B+ beyond the fuse. This could either be in the panel, the connectors behind the panel, the wiring to the back of the van or in the connector bundle in the black box in the engine compartment. I would drop the fuse panel, pull the big connectors off the back and look for melting. Look for melted fused wires in the combiner box in the engine compartment.

HTH,

-Otmar- 82/86 Stretch Vanagon Westfalia Syncro GTI. "Power of two" http://www.evcl.com/vw Several EVs (Electric Vehicles)