Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 May 2000 10:56:48 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Additives, was: Additive
Comments: To: "Roch250@AOL.COM" <Roch250@AOL.COM>

Roch-

Three things about additives: 1. You will NEVER recoup the cost of the additive through improve economy or performance. 2. Some of additives work as claimed. 3. Most cars will run just as far with or without additives.

That being said, I routinely use three additives. Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner is a favorite. It comes in varying 'strengths', with corresponding cost from $3.50 to 9.50 per bottle. The $3.50 works for me, and keeps both my Jetta TD and my Vanagon 2.0 running smoothly. I use it every few tanksful. Without it, the motor (s) run great; with it, they run better.

Marvel Mystery Oil. I use some in the fuel, and some in the oil in both vehicles. Since the Vanagon's lifters are cantankerous, the MMO helps fight sludge and gremlins. In the fuel, it claims to be an upper cylinder lube. My grandfather (machinist for Chrysler for a couple decades) swore by it, but that was half a century ago, and fuels and motors have changed a lot. I DO know MMO will unstick sticky lifters. This is a rare instance of an additive saving you money/heartache.

Motor Honey. (I know I'll get some flack over using this stuff). MH is allegedly a "viscosity improver". Basically, just sticky, gooey oil. Since my Jetta TD has 190k+ on it, and since the Vanagon's motor gets WAY hot, I like the idea that this stuff adds some lubricating umph to the oil at high temps. I've used it for years, and have no evidence that it does anything other than boost oil pressure slightly at higher temps, and quiets diesel motor clatter in the Jetta.

Repeating the caveat: You can pay as much or as little as you want, additives only make you feel better, they rarely pay for themselves.

Cheers,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Mount Olive, NC USA 877.658.1278 tollfree

"I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! -Wonka

-----Original Message----- From: Roch Cole [SMTP:Roch250@AOL.COM] Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2000 11:05 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Additive

I heard this is an additive that is good for vanagon engines...I'm not sure of correct name..something like SWECO..southwest petroleum company???anyone heard of this additive or what do you recommend just for general engine care?