Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 May 2000 17:24:06 -0700
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Painted the "Iron Igloo" today!
Comments: To: Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>

Wow, Marshall. I am impressed and a bit jealous. I have always wanted to try a "professional" level paint job like the one you describe, but have always been afraid of the work involved. It must be an incredibly satisfying feeling!

Now you'll be getting extra exercise every time you park somewhere, because you'll be parking at the FAAAAARRRRR end of the lot in those distant end spots. Just another added benefit of pristine paint. :-)

Can't wait to see pictures.

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

> -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf > Of Marshall Ruskin > Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2000 5:05 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Painted the "Iron Igloo" today! > > > Hi Volks: > > Today was the day the igloo finally got it's paint "shot". > Boy, am I bushed! > > The job turned out totally awesome - I am so pleased I don't > have the words > to describe how I feel. > > Here's what got shot onto the van since yesterday morning: > > 1 coat of epoxy primer > 2 coats of high fill primer > 1 black "guide" coat > 2 coats of acrylic urethane enamel (3 parts - paint, reducer, > hardener) > > I would say, conservatively speaking, that 95% of the time > was spent on > surface prep. Ever see that movie "The Karate Kid"? That's > what it's like to > paint a van. > > To make this concept of hard work more concrete, consider > that the entire > black guide coat was wet-sanded OFF with 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper by > hand - with lots and lots of water. > > (I could see my own reflection, IN THE PRIMER!) > > It will take 6 - 8 weeks for the paint to completely cure - > before I can wax > it. I'm not even going to install the rear window untill > Friday afternoon. > > I have a whole lot of respect for the bodyshop/painting pro's > - that's for > sure. > > What a tough way to earn a living. Tomorrow I go back to > work, which is a > vacation compared to how hard the last two days have been. > > I've taken some pictures of the process, by the way. > > Marshall Ruskin > 84 Westy "Iron Igloo" > Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada > Founding Member of "Vanagon's Anonymous" >

[text/html]