Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 May 2000 08:00:50 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solved! Re: Having Problem with Overheating (1.9l to 2.1l
              conversion)

At 09:49 AM 05/11/2000 -0400, you wrote: >WHEW! > >I've been off the list for six months, I come back and >my first posting gets blasted with this criticism. >Ouch!

Know that my responce was contemplating the whole list of people who would read it. The vast majority of them should never attempt a swap, 'cause they simply do not understand there is more to it that what might appear on the face.

Please reread and reconsider what I said that identifies you as the rare individual that can prudently proceed with your level of understanding.

"However, if you fund the project as your hobby, 'cause you love to spend a few hours regularly figuring out everything and testing and, heh, finally find and resolve the last issues, and take pride in your pioneer attitude and tenacity, and can afford the hobby, God bless you and wrench on. (And I ment that, sincerely.) Accomplishing things few can do can have good value, as long as the kids are fed." (What can have more value than kids who are amazed and impressed by the resourcefullness of their parents? That's how they learn and carry on in kind and will have value to them throughout their lives. Value cum laude!!)

Suggest you try blocking off the rear heater hoses to see if and what impact that may have on the temps. Also, the later dual stage radiator and fan system should be used with the later higher capacity motor. Note also the very different hose arrangements in the motor compartment between the early and later designs. That's why I say, transfer the whole SYSTEM for a much better chance at good results.

When you resolve these difficulties, let us all know how you did it. I will applaud you as loudly as anyone 'cause I know the knowledge, effort and skills required to do it right and get results and I am impressed with those that succeed where lesser efforts and capabilities insure failure.

T.P. Stephens San Juan Island, WA