Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 May 2000 09:34:13 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Outer CV Joint

At 11:22 AM 05/11/2000 -0400, you wrote: >I have removed MANY axles from jetta/sciroccos and replaced them as a unit and the individual CV joints. > >On my 82 Vanagon the outer CVs are bad. I already have the joints, otherwise I would just replace the entire axle. The question is do I have to take off the hub nub and remove the axel w/spile from the hub like in a front wheel drive VW or can I simply unbolt the axel and change the CVs and bolt it back in?? > >Bently makes it seem like the answer is NO, but Haynes makes it seem like YES, but it's a little hard to get the hex bolts on the outer CV. > >Comments??

Definately doable. You must spend the time with a long small screwdriver and/or scribe to pick the bolt heads clean, flush with penetrant or parts cleaner, and pick some more to get them truely clean. Otherwise, you risk stripping the head and/or ruining the tool bit, they you really are in a quandry. I have done this many dozens of times and have as yet had no problems. I always replace those outers with complete CV kits, including new German bolts and spezial washers, so the next guy/gal in there has the same opportunity for success.

Those triple hex tool bits get replaced around here more than anything else in my vast array of tools. First noticable wear and they are trashed. Then I get the backup new bit that I ALWAYS have on hand and immediatly order a new backup bit. And that's with SnapOn, MAC or Hazet bits, not the outoftheboxfailureprone types from the Zen or Hindu worlds of softer (cheap) metalurgy and so so (cheap) tolerances. This theory of operation is called "Invest in Success" and is an integral founding principle of the DM.

T.P. Stephens San Juan Island, WA