Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 May 2000 10:58:45 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch advise on 87 westy

At 12:26 PM 05/11/2000 -0400, you wrote: >How difficult is a clutch job on an 87 wety? I just finished head and >exhaust replacement myself, and it went quite well. Should I leave the >clutch replacement for the professionals?

Doing the clutch job right is a bit less difficult than doing a head replacement right. You need a good set of jack stands and a better than Chinese floor jack to do it safely. Go for it. I strongly suggest that you find the German assembled Ficktle & Sachs clutch parts. The Mexican assembled Sachs/Wagner kits I have seen will not pass the scrutiny of an experienced eyeball.

Scrutinize that cross shaft and bushings for wear. The throw out bearing must be held dead on perpendicular to the drive axis to prevent premature clutch failure. From what I have seen of the Mexican replacement x-shafts, STAY AWAY. Not usable without reworking. Much better to have the original German shaft reworked by a highly skilled machinist if a new German shaft is, alas, NLA.

Can a local garage handle it, or >should I take it to the dealer?

Always find a mechanic by word of mouth report. It's not fool proof, just better than relying upon darts thrown at the biggest ads in the yellow pages. Don't hire anyone who cannot or will not give references to repeat Vanagon clients. Hopefully, listees can advise of good results provided by someone in your vicinity. Otherwise, take the opportunity to chat up any other Vanagon owners you spot at the local mall or grocery store. Know who not to go to is everybit as important as finding competant services.

In ancient Greece there was a law. At the main arterial roads into town, those with afflictions could go and sit, and all citizens who passed by and had knowledge of possable cure were required to share their knowledge and experiences with the afflicted. No one with knowledge of possable value was allowed to withold it from those in need. Much of what we call common courtesy in todays world can be traced to these ancient laws and traditions. This list is a perfect example.

T.P. Stephens San Juan Island, WA