Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 May 2000 12:16:37 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Instant Horse Power Update

At 12:39 PM 05/11/2000 -0500, you wrote: a 49% increase >in horsepower is possible, and claims the same for the 1.9. >So, at that percentage of increase, I'm looking at about 122 horse. WOW

WOW, an opportunity for REAL data. Have the rear wheel horsepower and torque measured on a dyno both before and after the wizbang. Then we all have the benefit of judging the actual value where it counts, where tread meets road. Without the inherent cost of certified data, grab a copy of Road & Track. Find one of their comprehensive new model test reports. Duplicate the acceleration tests they run both before and after wizbang.

It won't be certified data, but it is a whole lot better than NO data, just sales claims and seat of pants testamonials. Horse power and torque figures could be extrapolated from this data if you will only pay for an actual scale weight before and after each set of runs before and after wizbang. The accuracy of this calculation would be improved by recording temp and humidity. If you will get me the data, and the procedures are prudently rigourous, I will volunteer the calculations, for verification by another listee.

And that goes for ANY wizbang. Test before wizbang, record data, test after wizbang, record data, analyse data, establish truth, within a measurable allowance of certainty. Can you say, "deCarte"?

Note. If you break something before you've finished the last set, fix it and then re-run that whole set again. Any set must be run on the same day under the same recorded conditions.

>! >Just what the doctor ordered !

Indeed. Let us know when you get some data.

>When I asked him about the dependabilty factor, he answered me this >way," Depends on how you drive it. You beat on anything and it's not >going to last, I don't care what it is." >I agreed,

Concur, cum laude, with the likely exception of a Porsche set up for Le Mans. At the highest level of the DM, rules of thumb do not apply. Actual data is required for actions. You do not commit till you have the test data to justify it. Only then do you give it the final test to confirm the data at an ultimate use level. Then you don't have to beat on it to win the race. You just cruise smooth and avoid the slower traffic.

and made darn well sure he added my name to the mailing list, >so I get one when it's available.

I'll reserve my funds 'till I see some data, independant that is, confirming or refuting claims made. I'll continue in reserve 'till I have two sets of independant trials that show something like similar sets of data from the same procedures. That's confirmation. Only now can I say to anyone with a straight face founded in honesty, subject to proof of truth, "This wizbang does this!!"

>Price? >$369.00. Who cares ?

Some do, some don't.

>"Speed cost money, How fast do you want to go."

Concur. If you get a descent increase and will sacrifice a bit of raw acceleration, you could use the data to caluculate some alturnative gearing. You could end up with a little better acceleration than stock at medium speeds and a higher sustainable top end both. Do keep your eye on the temp guage. By all means, during the test running sets both before and after wizbang, do keep data on the coolant temps. If it's not producing more heat from the same capacity motor, it's not producing more horsepower, unless this wizbang is claiming a new thermodynamic law. But the data will certainly show reality. That's why unbiased data is so valuable.

Truth costs time/money. How true do you want to be?

>Chow, Chow For Now,

auf Wiedersehen,

T.P. Stephens San Juan Island, WA