Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 May 2000 14:50:20 -0700
From:         David Raistrick <keen@LENTI.TYPE2.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why is the tire choice so complicated?
Comments: To: Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@HOTMAIL.COM>

Brian...

the 370 has finally been shot down by Yokohama. NLA, except potential warehouse stock you may find.

If you want a stock sized all terain tire (the 370 is), the Bridgestone Dualer in the 195/75/14 is a good Load C choice. Or move up to a 27" tire.

For normal on road use, I've found the Bridgestone 603 a surprisingly good tire. Holds the road in the rain, and dry, wearing very well (~10k miles now)...but it .sucks. in gravel, sand, dirt, mud...terrible. The Yokahama 356 is equivilent to the 603, but a few bucks cheaper. both are available in 185R14 C and D, as well as 195/75R C and D. both are available form the Tire Rack, expect to pay .around. 10 dollars each to ship them. (www.tirerack.com) I've ordered...umm...4 sets of tires from them now?:)

The word on continentals is "tread seperation"...but the same can be said abut the Michelins, as well.

When moms Vanagon finally runs the MX's that are on it to death, I'll probably recommend either she purchase my 603's from me cheap (and i then get the Dualer..) or have her get the 356.

195/75R14 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTiresBySize.jsp?startIndex=0&width=195%2F&ratio=75&diameter=14&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&performance=HR&performance=HAS&performance=ORAT&performance=ORMT&do=Search

I recommend .calling. your order in to the tire rack, vs using th eonline ordering...you get a more accurate representation of what is in stock where, as well as occasionally a better shipping charge.;)

Ah! I see tire rack is now carrying the Dunlop LT5....but its rather expensive for a highway rib tire, at 80+ each.

185R14's http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTiresBySize.jsp?startIndex=0&width=185%2F&ratio=0&diameter=14&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&performance=HR&performance=HAS&performance=ORAT&performance=ORMT&do=Search

I cant make any recommendations about the 205 or greater sizes, as I've never researched them.

Personal choice is the dualer, even though i would prefer a load D tire. But i like to drive off the main roads. Else, the 356 or the 603V.

good luck.

....david

-- David Raistrick '66 SO-44 Westy keen@type2.com in Guyton Ga