Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 May 2000 10:31:13 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Mac needed (for doing vanagon.com messages!)

My Mac 6116CD here is showing signs that all is not well, and I would like to replace it. Preferably with something faster. And cheap. This machine cost me $500US, about the going rate in New Zealand; I'm aware that this model goes retail in the US for $90-180! To me that's cheap. Here you could pay that much for an old Classic or LC!

Mine has a 60mHz PowerPC 601 processor and 24mb RAM expandable to 72mb.

Does anyone know of any Macs faster than mine that might be available? I guess I'm looking for an 8000-series or later. I don't want to buy another monitor overseas unless it's 19" or larger. ?

8600s and 9600s go retail for $800-1000in USA, hopefully private sellers or university departments wanting to get rid of surplus "old" Macs to make room for G4s will sell for a lot less. I may be pushing the proverbial here but if you don't try you'll never find out.

Andrew