Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 May 2000 10:31:14 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Porsche trans adaptor info found

For those thinking about putting Porsche 915 transmissions into their vans, I have at last begun to find out some solid information.

Porsche trans up to ~1974 had drive flanges with 4 bolts and 2 dowels; these will not fit VW CVs. Trans after 1974, such as the 915 trans, used the VW flange pattern (nobody told me this, I tried my 1975 T2 CV on a 915 trans) with 6 bolts. The Porsche 930 CVs went to 6 larger bolts. 3.2 Porsches use a different pattern again, I'm told.

Chris Weddle <info@2weddle.com> tells me that he offers a kit, which from his e-mail I believe includes axles, 930 CVs, boots, boot flanges, bolts and replacement stub axles and output flanges with 930 CV pattern. Cost starts at $549 depending on axle length etc. Ensure you order Type 2-to-930 stubaxles, or you'll receive Type 1. Sounds good to me, especially if it includes 4 genuine 930 CVs! (I'll have to confirm that last, sounds too good to be true).

McKenzie Products makes 930 outer & inner adaptors for the VW/915 drive flanges; $55US each. They hope to be on e-mail in a month or so; meanwhile phone (714) 441-1212. They know nothing about 915 trans; didn't even know what they are when I phoned.

Trans mounts will still need fabrication. The 094 5-speed VW shifter I would think should work, though the reverse lockout will act on first instead. This should be simple to cure (091/4 4-speeds I'm not sure of). The rear end of the shifter rod can be adapted using a section of steering column with universal joints (Mike Gensler's great idea).

Source engine adaptor kit and clutch etc from KEP <kennedy@hughes.net>.

Clutch actuation in 915 is cable; you can either convert van to cable clutch, or preferably convert the 915 to hydraulic, as I will be doing.

If you want to fit a Getrag G50 trans from a later 911, Claer Automobile (not Clear) in Germany makes a kit. Fax 0049-6774-766. Communication is difficult and slow; through an Englisch-speaking intermediary Herr Claer told me that he could sell me a G50 kit, which he said can be adapted to the 915, for DM2500 (~$1250US) +p&p. I'm not sure exactly what the kit includes; I have faxed him a query but received no reply as yet. I don't know what needs to be modified for use with thew 915 either. So for the 915, as things stand, the Weddle kit looks like the one to go for.

Hope this helps Andrew