Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 May 2000 20:14:02 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Luggage Rack Seal- Report! (longish)

> I called Gary at Go Westy to ask him exactly why he > uses one seal for his kits instead of two seals. He said he > decided to test using the pop-top seal on the luggage rack. After testing it for > some time, he determined that it eliminated any chance of wind noise and > rattling, and did not retain water at all. That is why he sells the kits this way. He > said that he has a bunch of it left over from when he used to sell it, but he > refused to sell a product that his customers could have a problem with down the road.

Well, we have a difference of opinion here.

The original luggage rack seal design did NOT call for an insulation bulb. The insulation bulb on the poptop seal is there specifically to create a seal between the poptop and the body, which is desirable with the poptop (to prevent rain leakage into the vehicle), but equally UNdesireable for the luggage rack (which has holes in it specifically designed TO allow water into it, which is then supposed to drain out under the luggage rack). The incidence of wind noise is extremely rare, i.e. maybe one in every several hundred luggage rack seals I sell. In 90 percent of those cases, slightly lowering the seal on the luggage rack or snugging the bolts solves the problem. In the other 10 percent (we're talking one seal in many hundreds sold now) I simply replaced it with one with a bulb because that was what the person requested. (Yes, I can provide one with a bulb, although I recommend against it.)

It is not possible for a correctly styled (no-bulb) luggage rack seal to create a problem "down the road" as implied above. The luggage rack seal will not change over time, so it cannot do anything differently "down the road." If wind noise suddenly occurs "down the road," then the only explanation is that the luggage rack itself has loosened, which is completely unrelated to the luggage rack trim piece, and in itself a cause for concern. If it loosened over that period of time, how much did it loosen, and how much will it continue to loosen? Why not fix the problem correctly by tightening it, rather than "band-aid" the real problem by putting on a non-stock seal?

On the other hand, the potential damage caused by poor drainage COULD be seen "down the road." I sincerely doubt that an insulation bulb would completely block rainwater drainage; it just isn't that tight a seal. But it might slow rainwater drainage, causing water to pool up below the luggage rack longer than originally intended (remember, the original seal did not have a bulb). If this were to happen, the long term result could be rust under the luggage rack, but would probably not be seen as dampness to the poptop canvas, which is separately protected separately by the bulbed seal. Therefore, the result of such drainage problems would show up over the long term, not after one or two heavy rains.

Of course we are all guessing here. None of us knows for sure whether or not the insulation bulb will hurt your luggage rack or roof over the long run. Go Westy themselves have not been in business long enough to be able to test this question in the field over enough time for accurate results to be known. Neither have I. But one thing that is sure is that the LACK of such a bulb will NOT cause any long term problems, and would in fact be closer to the original stock design. I will therefore continue to lean toward caution, and provide a "bulbless" luggage rack seal unless specifically asked to do otherwise when you place you order (in which case a bulbed seal can be provided). I would rather risk a very slight chance of wind noise (which will be immediately obvious and correctable), than risk the a long-term possibility of hidden damage due to drainage problems (which will not be as easily noticed in the short term but could have possible long-term implications).

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com