Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 May 2000 21:43:36 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@MAIL.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Update on my failed Ring&Pinion...

I got a call from Russ at Autospiel today to tell me that the brand new Ring&Pinion he ordered from the dealer has a very minor defect, which he found when checking the gears with "mechanics blue". I don't know if this is standard procedure when installing gears, but I certainly appreciate that he found this, and is obviously taking extra care in putting this together.

I think the doubts I had last week with Autospiel were unfounded, now that I have let him investigate - Russ has agreed to essentially rebuild the trans a 2nd time with no labour charge, while I must buy the new parts. Possibly he feels partially responsible for the R&P failing so soon after his rebuild, I don't know. I suspect that the amount of metal in the oil from the original failed bearings last year may have caused the pitting in the R&P, but I'll never know, I guess.

I now have to wait until next week for new R&P to come from the US, so I've ordered some Redline MT90 to put in the trans. I hope this will provide enough protection for the R&P. After reading up on GL-4 vs GL-5, I'm now wondering if it's not better to just run GL-5 gear oil and protect the R&P at the expense of the much cheaper syncro rings. Or maybe the best option is one of the GL-4 & GL-5 rated synthetics out there - so far, I've found that Amsoil and NeoSynthetics both make such a gear oil, which employs non- sulphur based EP additives to meet both GL-4 and GL-5 specs.

Has anyone used either of these oils? I called two local VW dealers and both use Pennzoil GL-5 in their service shops, or the VW synthetic (at $27/liter!), so GL-5 can't be that bad on sycnros can it? I'm still a little uncertain about using Redline, as my R&P (and bearings) failed when I had MTL in the trans (for 3 years ~25k). Maybe they would have failed with any oil, I'll never know. The part that still bothers me is that Redline MTL and MT90 both state that they are not for differentials or hypoid gears, which is what the Vanagon trans has, even though they do meet the GL-4 spec set out by VW. Has anyone run Redline MTL or MT90 for a long time, say more than 150k km?

Another thing that bugs me: if GL-5 is so bad for most transmissions, then why is GL-4 nearly impossible to find? I've been to nearly a dozen auto parts stores, and not one carries a GL- 4 gear oil in stock.

Still a little puzzled...

Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager Shawnigan Lake School swright@SLS.bc.ca http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright http://www.sls.bc.ca