Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 May 2000 02:56:44 EDT
From:         Michael Modl <Modl6971@AOL.COM>
Subject:      A Complaint w-South African Engine Conversion
Comments: To: KENWILFY@aol.com

In a message dated 5/11/00 3:03:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time, KENWILFY@AOL.COM writes:

<< Well, I haven't said anything on the list about this before now but I am getting ready to do a 4-cylinder in-line engine conversion from South Africa (www.tiico.com). It is going into a customer's '84 Westy. The kit arrived in a crate today. All I can say is that it looks every bit as good in person as it does on the website. Everything is new, and stock VW. I mean the intake made specifically for this engine in a Vanagon application is worth it's weight in gold to me (that is what makes this conversion look stock). Only down side so far is that apparantly some salt water leaked into the container on the long trip from SA and the block got a little rusty. All the cad plated fasteners, etc are still new looking as is anything else that was painted with some nicer paint. Besides that all the stuff arrived in good order and it looks like it is going to be a really simple and nice conversion. I'll be posting pictures, and more to the List as I get on with the conversion (have to get the customer's van down here first). >>

Ken I wish you the best in the installation. It's a beautiful kit, fit and finish is excellent, all fits perfect. Two weeks ago I was one of the lucky ones that had a visit from a proud owner of a burgundy 87 syncro with the full S.A. kit just installed. The van was nice, it had the S.A. grill and an auxiliary gas tank on the rear lid. The customer showed up at my VW dealership near Seattle (I'm the shop foreman for VW) with this car and a piece paper that said "After installation visit your local VW dealership and hook up the 1552 to adjust the CO (Fuel Mixture) to 1.0." This is impossible. There isn't one OBD1 or OBD2 VW that CO is adjustable with the 1551, 1552 or the new high tech 5051,(these VW scan tools do all the same thing). These scan tools or any other scan tools can do other things BUT adjust CO. Now here is the real kicker. The S.A. factory fuel injection kit doesn't have a O2 sensor in it's system. But before the CAT there's a O2 sensor screwed in for LOOKS but not plugged into anything. OK, the customer wants me to hook up the 1552 any and check for faults. He shows me the diagnostic plug under the rear seat from the new factory harness. The plug DOESN'T even match the 1552 diagnostic connector. The SA connector has 3 wires going to it. One red, brown and grey wire. I patiently took a customers 98 Jetta DLC connector apart to compare wires and see what controls what in the DLC 1552 connector. I bridged wires from the SA connector to the 1552 connector and I was able to perform fault checks and perform measuring value block checks now. The information I was able to retrieve was the same as an 93 to 95 OBD 1 Jetta, but the SA engine has a 96 to 98 Jetta throttle body, which is really nice to have because you can adjust basic settings of the throttle body with the VW scans tools. Here is the really important thing, measuring block 005 channel 3 is the O2 sensor reading. It was showing a stuck reading of 1.0 . This is a default value when an O2 sensor is unplugged on a 93-95 car. A properly running 93-95 vw will show .98, .99, 1.00, 1.01, and 1.02 when the O2 sensor is sending an average millivolt signal of 500 millivotls, which would be perfect fuel mixture. Keep in mind the .98 to 1.02 numbers have nothing to do with voltage signals from the O2 sensor, it's only computer talk in the VW program. OBD2 cars will show true millivolt signals that we are used to. Note that there are no adjustments that can be made on this SA kit that I had. I checked CO to see what it is running at anyway. It was running very lean at .12 before that CAT and the car had no power because of it. The millivolt reading from the O2 sensor was .010 which is very lean. So obviously the SA computer needs to see this reading from the O2 sensor in order to adjust fuel mixture and run properly. The part number on the SA computer unusually started with #JKN959123 (I'm not sure with the first 3 letters). TO FIX this customers car, I need a wiring diagram for this SA computer to run the O2 sensor signal to the appropriate terminal inside the ECM computer connector, or replace the current wire harness with the correct harness that will include the O2 connector. By the way, this SA ECU I think is looking for knock sensors because there was a fault for them, but the fault didn't come back. There is no knock sensor on the engine. The customer spent $150 for my time and info that I provided. He is also going to the junk yard to get a normal VW DLC connector for the scan tools. That was 2 weeks ago, I havn't heard anything. Good luck on your project. It's a great kit. I'd take the 5 cyl instead though. See ya, Michael. 87 syncro 87 quattro.