Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 May 2000 04:45:52 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: ANOMOLY ALERT-Michelin Tires

At 01:28 AM 05/12/2000 -0700, you wrote: >A few bones to pick with the good Doktor........... > >A single set of tires is not a good statistical sample, personal knowledge >or not.

Agreed. That's why I checked with some local tire dealers and found they had been seeing some problems as well. It is also why I called this an anomoly. It stands out in great variance with the norm. I know this for a fact. I cannot advise the use of Michelin products anymore without causious consideration of this new evidence. >The first set of Michelins I ever owned were fine tires, made in France, to >a European spec, TUV approved and all. A great tire.......as long as the >roads stayed dry. As the good Doktor well knows, from personal experience, >roads in the Pacific Northwest are rarely dry for too long. With a bit or >rain on the road surface driving became a, shall we say, interesting >experience.

I have Michelins on my Mercedes. I have never had the sleightest impression of a problem on wet roads. But I am not in the rat race anymore and drive with a light foot and Mozart.

> >Move forward five years to when the Camry needed new tires. I only >seriously looked at three brands, Conti, Yoko and, yes, Michelin. All were >considered because of past personal experience, reputation, price, >recommendations etc....... In the end the Michelins got put on and I've >been very happy with them. > >My point is facts are based on information. In my case, a poorly performing >small sample was not enough to deter me from future consideration of said >product line. Would I buy THAT specific model again? If I lived somewhere >dry, yes. But for my circumstance and environment, no. ANY company can >build a poor product, DM or no DM. Knowledge and experience (mine and >others) help me to avoid those poor products.

Yes, I was just passing on the facts for consideration of others, 'cause there is a problem that needs explaination. This is the first time as well I heard of Michelin refusing to honor their warrenty.

> >Can a US tire factory put out a product of equal or better quality than a >Euro plant? Yes, and the reverse is also true. However, both facilities >are more than capable of putting out a very inferior product, be it a single >tire or a whole model line of tires. > >In the end, armed with knowledge and experience, you pay your money and you >take your chances!

So, I sent you some ammo. You can throw it in the mud or keep it dry, as you will. I am most interested in anyone else who has had a problem, or can find some more of these Michelins that do not spellout the country of manufacture like this anomolous set.

T.P. Stephens San Juan Island, WA