Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 May 2000 08:59:51 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Tire Passion was: ANOMOLY ALERT-Michelin Tires
Comments: To: bpchristensen1@home.com

We are passionate about them because tires make or break the ride and handling of any vehicle. When I first got my Carat Vanagon, it rode like crap. I thought it was the shocks so I replaced all the shocks with Boges all the way around. Found that after 150k miles the old Boges were still in good to excellent shape and probably didn't need to be changed (I have had this experience changing these shocks on customers vans as well). After shock change it rode the same. However when I got my 15" rims and new tires, it made a world of difference (mainly the tires). I got some nice BF Goodrich tires that are Light Truck rated for the 15" rim from the Tire Rack.com for around $85 each. These tires are 215 65 R15 and they ride and handle great. Now the van rides excellent. No more rocking boat effect, and the tires absorb a good bit of the bumps as well (I am running these at 35 psi). So although I delete most of the tire posts, I have to say that I understand why people want to talk about them so much. Because if you have a crappy car tire on your van, you can have the best shocks in the world on there and it will still ride crappy. But if you have some nice tires on something, the ride comfort factor goes way up.

PS for those people who are now going to email me and ask about or tell me that my speedometer is now reading improperly, I will pre-empt your emails by saying that I have tested my speedo accuracy by timing between mile markers, checking the odometer readings by mile markers over 100 miles, and by radar gun and all of these confirm that my odometer and speedo are right on the money. Perhaps even more so since putting on the 15" rims. Just FYI.

Thanks, Ken Wilford http://www.vanagain.com John 3:16 Office (856)-765-1583 Shop (856)-327-0027 Fax (856)-327-2242