Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 May 2000 10:28:16 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: What is the simplest way to get 12V in a 24V VW electrical
              system?
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>

At 01:45 5/12/2000, David Marshall wrote: >would be 12V. I guess the flaw in my logic might be that if they were two >IDENTICAL 12V lights then they would take 12V each... if one light, or one >light and the 12V accessory attached to it take more current than the >other, the voltage will be different... am I right or am I wrong?

That's it exactly. And it would work for a light load, although if the wrong light burnt out you would probably smoke the load.

I think you have three choices, really: 1) run off the bottom battery, and maybe it dies a bit early, so what. If you mostly run with the motor on, I wouldn't think it'd make the slightest difference anyway. If not, might maybe have a problem with the *other* battery overcharging, as all the charging current has to go through both batts. 2) buy the converter for whatever they want for it. 3) build your own voltage regulators -- I'd be very surprised if the ARRL book didn't have some circuits to get you started. Several little ones might be easier and cheaper than one big one, I don't know. A real quick-and-dirty would be just stick big diodes in series until you get the drop you want -- just remember you'll be dissipating the same amount as waste heat that your device actually uses. 4) Find a mil-surplus dynamotor (motor-generator set) that goes from 24v to 12v -- that would be the authentic way to do it. <g> I dunno if they built that combination, though.

david David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"