Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 May 2000 12:33:15 -0300
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>
Subject:      The good, bad & ugly: Trip report (Very Long)

Borrowing from Charles Dickens: "It was the best of trips, it was the worst of trips":

I bought a viscous coupling from Derek Drew in Wash DC and I wanted a new 3 window Westy canvas for my van (from the Busdepot). I figured that the cost to ship the VC and the canvas to Canada, plus the Canadian customs and sales tax would just about equal the gas for the trip and I could visit my brother in Morgantown WV as an added extra. So last week off I went, by myself, from Halifax to Wash DC, to Morgantown, to the Busdepot, and back to Halifax.

The van ran fine all the way through Atlantic Canada, through New England till I pulled off the Beltway in DC and I then heard metal to metal on the brakes. I had JUST put new pads and rotors on, prior to the trip, so HOW COULD THIS BE!!!

I limped over the Derek's house and talked "vanagon" with him for a while, received the VC and asked about a place to get the brakes fixed. Derek had a set of used pads and agreed to sell them to me just to get the pads back on and save my NEW rotors. Well, while nursing the van over to the brake shop (down shifting and using the hand brake as much as I could), the van quit on me every 2 minutes!!!! Just stopped dead! I would wait for 2 minutes and then it would run perfectly for 2 minutes and stop.

I limped down to the brakes place (2 minutes on, 2 minutes off) and had Derek's pads put on. The cause of the problems was diagnosed as a stuck caliper and this was what was wearing away my pads. After the "new" pads were put on and the van DRIVEN out of the work bay and parked in the lot, the owner of the brake shop said "NO CHARGE", nice of him. But then my van would NOT start at all.

Now, we need to keep in mind that my van has points, plugs and condenser and a Weber carburettor. I had my Bentley and many tools and I kept trying to chase down electrical problems. The van would turn over OK but not even try to start. I could hear the fuel pump pumping with the key "on". I had elect. to the coil, to the distributor, to the plugs. I was at the end of my knowledge and was getting a bit flustered.

Here is where I made my first mistake. It was Easter eve and I was trying to get to my brother's house for Easter, and I got a little panicky. A nice guy came over to see what was the problem and tried to "help". While I was up at the key, he pulled the plug wires out of the distributor and re-arranged then to what he thought was 1,2,3,4. So now I had 2 problems.

I called Derek again to get the name of a "fix-it" shop in DC. He suggested that I call Tom Forhan (list member) as Tom has lived in DC for 20 years. Tom suggested that I have the van carried (it's a syncro and can't be towed) to a "shade-tree" mechanic 2 blocks from Tom's house. I did, and then I settled in to spend Easter parked in the lot of a shade-tree mechanic in Wash DC..

Tom was great!! He came over that night to commiserate with me. Then showed up Easter morning to try and help. NOTHING, the van would turn over, but was just dead and I still had not figured out how to get the plug wires back in correctly. Tom had the Muir's "idiot" book with the cylinder #s. in it so that helped, but my distributor was different than in the Muir book, so I was still a bit un-sure. Tom came back in early afternoon and invited me to his and his wife's Easter dinner party!!!!!!! Is this list great or what. Tom did suggest that I could (should?) shower! prior to the dinner party - subtle or what! So in the middle of my van misery, I had a wonderful Easter dinner with interesting people. Thanks again Tom.

Well after 2 nights camping in the mechanic's parking lot, Monday morning they all showed up for work. They pushed and prodded and looked for about 3 hours and then gave up and said that they could not fix it and suggested that I would have to take the van to a VW dealer. During their "work" they had loosened the distributor and rotated it while I cranked the van. So now I had a new problem - the timing was WAY off. On the "good" side, they also said "no charge, we didn't fix anything".

So for the second time I called AAA and had the van carried to a VW shop. The VW shop looked at the carbs etc. and said they would not work on the engine. So, Tom Forhan had suggested Auto Centro (about 25 miles away) as the last word in honesty and competency. So for the 3rd time (at about $100 each time) I had the van carried to Auto Centro. I arrived here just at closing and spend the night in their parking lot.

Tuesday morning they had to clear up the cars they were working on and while they did that I kept working on the van. This is where Tom's Muir book saved the day. It had directions for plug wires, engine diagrams for cylinder #1,2,3,4 firing order 1 4 3 2 and directions for static timing.

I was now confident that I had the plug wires on correctly, I set the points with a feeler gauge and then found Top Dead Center (TDC) by rotating the engine while I had a plastic straw down the #1 plug hole (very slowing and I only put the straw in when I was approaching TDC. I then set the engine about! 6 degrees before TDC hooked up the static timing light and rotated the distributor till the light came on. (Do any of you old-timers remember this procedure?) The previous "mechanic" had left the distributor 90 degrees off!

Well, I put everything back together and tried the engine IT STARTED!!!! and idled perfectly for about 1.5 minutes the just quit! So by now I had eliminated all of the plug, dist. etc problems and it was about 11 a.m. and the mechanic was ready to look at the van.

It would idle for about 1.5 minutes the quit!!. So he (being much more experienced than I), hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and, sure enough, with he key "on" the fuel pump would pump and I/we could hear it. But after a minute, or so, the pressure went to zero, and the van stopped - no fuel.

So a new low pressure fuel pump and I was on my way. THANKS to Auto Centro (yes, they are listed on the vanagon recommended repair shops).

BUT, I still had the brake caliper problem, but I figured I'd just chew through the pads till I arrived at Ron's (Busdepot) and get new pads and calipers. So off to my brother's house, I stayed for an enjoyable 5 days. During this time I had called Ron to see who could put on the new caliper and he suggested a place about 20 miles from his Depot, so I made an appointment for Monday morning. I left my brother's place Sunday noonish and then camped out in the parking lot of Lehman's Auto (not sure of the name) Sunday night, my 4th camping night in an auto-fix-it place!

Monday morning these guys put on the new caliper and lightly machined the rotor and gave the van a once over. They hooked the engine up to their $60,000 Sun elect analyser machine and set the carbs and everything checked our OK. Even my work with the points I had the dwell exactly at 48 degrees and the timing was only about 1 degree off.

I test drove the van and it was OK. I paid the bill, and off I went. WELL! I was not more than 5 miles, on my way to Ron's, when the van started acting up again, This time it was definitely carb problems - it idled OK, full throttle OK, but bucking a bit in the mid-range. I decided to "punish" the van and I just kept on driving.

I stopped at Ron's to get the 3 window tent, an antennae, and a caliper for the other side (to be put on later), and off I went, a bit of a rough ride, but not too bad at highway speeds. I drove for about 6 hours and then a MIRACLE happened, the carbs just smoothed out and the van was running perfectly. Whatever was plugging some jet in the carb worked its way through and the van ran PERFECTLY for the last 15 hours of the trip back to Halifax.

So, the GOOD: Derek's good work on the VC and selling the pads to me. Tom's real caring involvement and hospitality to a complete stranger.

The BAD: the van acted up when 3,000 kilometres from home.

The UGLY, about $800 UD$ to get it all fixed.

Hope you enjoyed this story. Malcolm