Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 May 2000 14:51:21 -0600
From:         "Jon B. Kanas" <kanas@QUALITY.QADAS.COM>
Subject:      ABS / Subaru

Todd and fellow listers,

This seems to be a problem with the ABS system on Subarus. I have seen two fail in this way and the dealer seemed to be extraordinarily "familiar" with the problem. My mother-in-law had hers fixed, and the final bill was well over $1000. If you think Vanagon parts are pricey, wait until you see what the dealer-only parts for Japanese cars cost!

When you disconnect or disable the compressor, the braking reverts to standard brakes. Anti-Lock brakes are a conventional hydraulic braking system which has a pump plumbed into the system, and wheel sensors on each wheel of the car. When a the signals from the wheel sensors stray from a pattern which the computer recognizes, the pump rapidly releases and restores hydraulic pressure to the wheel in question. When you disconnect the pump (and controller) you have returned the car to conventional-only brakes as you have disabled the mechanism which relieves brake pressure in pulses, creating the "anti-lock" braking.

Pull the plastic cover off of the ABS compressor (behind the right headlight) and you will find a pair of relays. Our dealership says that one or both of these are know to fail and will cause compressor "run-on". From looking at the relay, I would guess that you can take the case off of the relay and see if it's repairable.

We've been pretty unhappy with the ABS on our Outback, and have chosen to leave it disabled. We found that the car is much easier to control on ice and gravel with the ABS disabled.

Vanagon Content: Vanagon's don't have ABS, which is, IMHO, good.

Jon