Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 May 2000 16:15:28 -0600
From:         Jim & Melody <JiMelody@ZIANET.COM>
Subject:      Eccentric Washers/squeeks

Hi gang, I know that is not an exciting subject. I again tried to fix a worsening squeek/groan from my front passenger side control arm/suspension. My money says it is the upper control arm bushings which I had professionally installed last March to "fix" the problem. This morning I removed the upper control arm and looked at the bushings. The center guide is off center a little and the adjustment bolt had a wee bit of play on the one end but otherwise looked o.k. The space/play between the the bushing and eccentric washers were less than spec 0.5 mm. My eccentric washers are of different sizes unfortunately which I could not measure exactly.

My question to you all today is: What were the original eccentric washer sizes? I think one of mine is 3 mm if that is possible and the other 4mm. The thicker one was on the rear. I see adjustment washers available in 4, 5 and 5.5 mm (bentley 40.18a). Also the front, narrower washer was more tapered from the top to the bottom. Is this normal or did mine wear that way? I plan on ordering new bushings but should probably try to have it done right with the adjustment washers at the same time. I can't find these adjustment eccentric washers at BD or VanAgain web (part # 251 407 133) but if they are not too expensive, I can maybe gamble with a couple of different sizes.

I understand that I will now need an alignment.

A few months ago we discussed creaks and groans in the suspension - anyone with some success, I'd love to hear from you. Basically now makes a short grunt/groan whenever the right front wheel hits anything uneven. Thanks for the help.

Jim Alamogordo NM 91 Syncro AW 99 NB TDI