Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 May 2000 00:17:43 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: New Tech. in Old Applications.
Comments: To: Tom and Dana Cates <dcates1@HOME.COM>

At 22:07 5/13/2000, Tom and Dana Cates wrote: >Well, I think that the Pertronics must not be just a switch off/on. I think >that as the leading edge of the magnetic field encounters whatever the >switching device is, they 'Open' just like points and when the trailing edge >of the field exits whatever the switching device is, they 'Close', just like >a set of points.

mmm...not really. The rotor/sensor (magnetic, optical, whatever) gives timing info to the control module, but it doesn't actually impose any particular behavior. It's entirely up to the module what it does -- whether the output, for example, has a variable delay from the input pulse depending on rpm, or whether the output duration varies ditto.

>So, the dwell would still be a factor when retaining the rest of the stock, >point type ignition. I think.

The only thing left of the stock ignition would be the coil...it's certainly possible that a different coil would be optimum.

If you don't care about theory, stop here... :)

I don't know exactly how the Pertronix or other solid-state ignition module generates the coil pulse. In a point-type ignition it's quite simple, yet also quite subtle: The ignition coil is simply a step-up transformer. If you apply a small ac voltage to the low-voltage side you'll get a large ac voltage from the other side, and vice versa. However, a transformer works because the varying magnetic field generated by the AC input "primary" cuts across the output "secondary" windings and induces a tiny voltage in each one (the voltages add together -- in fact the ratio of input to output voltage is the ratio of primary turns to secondary turns. The current ratio is the inverse of the voltage ratio -- you're trading one against the other just as with a block and tackle or a gear train. The total energy remains the same). All this means that if you apply a DC voltage to the primary, you'll get no output as long as the voltage is steady.

In the Kettering ignition system you have an apparent conflict -- you need a changing voltage to make the coil work, but you have only DC to work with. Also, you need many thousands of volts at the output, but you have only 12, or maybe even six at the input. Charles Kettering, the smart SOB, came up with a wonderful answer (in between inventing starters and sundry such odds and ends...).

He took advantage of another property of the transformer -- each winding is an inductor, a fundamental electronic component with effect of resisting changes in the current passing through it. In mechanical terms, it acts like a large mass. So he hooked it up in series with the battery and a set of contact points -- and he hung a capacitor (acts like an electrical spring) across the points. Here's how it works:

When the points close, current starts flowing in the circuit, but because of the inertial effect of the coil primary, it rises comparatively slowly, and stabilizes at some maximum value. Then, at the instant when the spark is needed, the points open. Suddenly the current has nowhere to go except the capacitor, and with the inertia from the coil behind it, it very rapidly charges the capacitor, storing energy in the "spring." The current drops extremely rapidly, and since the power in the system is the product of voltage and current, as the current drops, so does the voltage rise -- up to let's say 100 volts. Also as the current drops, the magnetic field in the primary coil collapses and the windings of the secondary, which absorbs some of the energy and turns it into a spark.

Now the capacitor starts to discharge and shove a current in the other direction, -- the coil generates a spark as the current increases, and again as it decreases. This continues, with the current bouncing back and forth, charging the capacitor in opposite directions, until all the energy is absorbed by the spark generation, and by resistance in the primary circuit. And a long time later, the points close again and build up energy for the next round.

If the capacitor is missing, two problems result -- first is that the spark is of very short duration and may not ignite as well. The second is that when the points open the inertia of the current forces the voltage to rise until it generates an arc between the points. This arc carries the current by actually detaching metal from one point and depositing it on the other one, rapidly destroying the points.

Now this all worked remarkably well. It was light-years better than anything else around at the time, and in fact seems to be about as good as you can get using strictly passive components. It survived with no competition until the '60s, when various transistor circuits were developed to more actively control the primary pulse. But it has a major problem, which is that the faster you spin the engine, the less time is available to load up the coil with energy for the next set of sparks. And if you jack up the current so it works well at high speeds, you tend to melt the coil at low speeds. Big compromise here, and the ultimate answer has been to shift to active electronics to get control over the pulse shape, duration etc., to get proper ignition at high speed without destroying the system at low speed. And once you've done that, there's no need for a set of current-carrying points, all they're doing now is generating a timing signal. So why not dump them entirely and use a non-contact system that doesn't wear? And here we are.

Now, children, be sure to put on your rubbers before you go home, as the dew has fallen. And say goodnight to old Uncle Wiggily.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"