Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 May 2000 03:54:01 -0400
From:         Paul Borghese <paul98@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:      HELP!  Lack of power at high speeds during cross country trip

Hi Everyone,

I am having a problem with my 1985 Vanagon that I am using for a cross-country trip. About 500 miles ago, my van started stumbling at high speeds. And what I mean by stumbling is the RPM will mysteriously drop even though I am flooring the gas. Usually after a second or two the RPM's will return. When this first occurred, I immediately exited and filled with premium (great now this thing need premium :-(). That fixed the problem until the following day the same thing occurred. Similar solution fixed the problem.

But then I noticed a day or two later that I could not go as fast as normal and any hill no matter how small would cause the van to be reduced to a crawl. Finally after a day and 1/2 of driving like this (and many tanks of gas later), I changed the Fuel Filter (side of road big mess etc.) Immediately I noticed the problem was fixed and I could fly down the road. But about 45 minutes later the problem returned. So now I am in a hotel wondering what to do.

Some ideas I have are:

Bad Fuel Filter (again?) Bad Fuel Pump (less that a year old) Bad Pressure Regulator

Any ideas on what I can try? Any good shops in Flagstaff AZ? Or parts places.

Thanks,

Paul

Please cc: me directly as my Internet access is limited but I will check this account.