Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 May 2000 10:56:28 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: HELP!  Lack of power at high speeds during cross country trip
Comments: To: Paul Borghese <paul98@prodigy.net>

At 10:27 5/14/2000, Paul Borghese wrote: >Thanks! Dumb Question? So I can check if the filter is filled by blowing >through it? I will try it.

Paul, in the light of day I have to say I'm not certain. You could certainly tell by blowing gasoline through it, but that might be hard on the gums...prolly best to just replace it (I'm assuming this is the plastic filter that doesn't cost the earth).

One quick-and-dirty, again assuming it's the plastic filter -- I'd expect the fuel pump to be making more noise than usual if the filter were clogged.

Another measurement that's easy to do (you *do* carry a 50 psi gauge in your pocket, right?) is to check the fuel pressure. There's a metal tee in the fuel line just inboard of the distributor -- the leg that sticks up is for measuring the pressure. You'll need to get the gauge and a combination of hose (or hoses) and clamps that will mate the two. Look for about 29 psi at idle, then unhook the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator (small metal canister with two fuel lines and a vacuum line, near distributor) and look for about 36 psi. The FLAPS should have a suitable gauge. When you open up the tee a small amount of gas should squirt out, so be ready to catch it and soak it up. Make sure the tee isn't leaking when you close it up again, and be sure to hook the vacuum line back up to the regulator.

>Any ideas how to get the junk out of the fuel tank? I can dump all of the >fuel out but what about cleaning the tank?

Er...not really. Assuming that's what it is, of course. Ok, two ideas, both of them assuming you're dropping the tank -- 1) call around for a tank-cleaning service, 2) [invoking Bulley's Wonka disclaimer here!] flush the sucker out repeatedly with a hose until all seems well, then rinse it with successive pints of 91% isopropyl alcohol (drugstore). If you stick a piece of paper in the drainings, then shake it until the alcohol evaporates you'll be able to see if it still has water in it (I just tried it with a 20% mixture and the paper was noticeably damp, so I'm confident that if it can pass that test there won't be enough water left to worry about. But I don't think it will work if you use 70% isopropyl, too much water already).

Good luck david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"