Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 May 2000 18:32:43 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oilpressure LEDs
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

At 18:23 5/8/2000, Andrew Grebneff wrote: >a VW engine since the previous owner). I understand, perhaps wrongly, that >there are 2 LEDs; one for idle-speed oilpressure, the other (coupled with a >buzzer) for higher rpm? The PCB mentioned by Gary McEachern on 31-10-99,

There is only one LED. There is a smallish L-shaped circuit board inside the speedometer (because there was room there, nothing to do with function. That board takes inputs from (coil, I think) and from the two oil senders, one of which opens circuit at 0.3 bar, and the other which closes at a higher pressure -- around 1 bar I think. Its output controls the LED and buzzer (the buzzer may be actually on the board, not sure). At < 2000 rpm, the controlling signal is the low-pressure sender, and the light is lit (maybe blinking?) when the sender is closed. At or above 2000, the controlling signal is the high-pressure sender, and the LED lights and buzzer sounds when the sender is open. I don't know what happens if the hp sender indicates ok and the lp sender indicates bad above 2000 rpm, but I suspect that the lp sender is ignored in this case.

david David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"