Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 May 2000 11:09:39 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Cliffs, road markers, handling and sheep

To answer the various replies I got:

Gas here is about $1.10/l ($1NZ=$0.50US); I can't remember becaues I haven't driven anything but diesels for so long, since my Caravelle's trans died late 1998. Diesel is a little over half that; my 86 Corolla CE80 1.8 diesel and CT160 Corona 2.0 get 550+km a tank around town, over 34mpg, all of it driven hard on very steep streets (Kiwis claim that Dunedin has the world's steepest street, which just happens to terminate right below my house. It's not really the steepest, but is really impressive nevertheless).

Girls are all pretty, also all have curly blond hair that makes great sweaters and carpets.

US-market BMWs certainly had soggy suspensions, at least in the 1980s. I remember an Australian magazine, "Modern Motor", which tested a 528 against the local GM product, the Holden Kingswood. They found that the Holden easily outhandled the BMW. The latter would turn nasty when driven hard, and tended to spin out; it was so bad it was called dangerous. The other Australian magazines slammed MM for daring to say that a lowly GM-H product could outhandle a Bavarian. They had to eat humle pie when it was discovered that BMW Australia was importing BMWs with US-spec suspension...

The Rabbit, a rebadged Golf I, is noted outside USA for having soggy suspension, and being generally not great.

Andrew