Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2000 09:48:18 -0400
From:         Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: Boston Bob & Bentley, WOW.
Comments: To: Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>

Doktor Tim wrote: > > At 05:43 PM 05/15/2000 -0700, you wrote: > > >This is what I got: (engine hot, crank for 3 sec) > >Nr.1 135 Nr.2 160 Nr.3 140 Nr.4 160 > >After driving a couple hundred miles, I did another compression test. > >This is what I got now. > > (engine hot, crank for 3 sec) > >Nr.1 160 Nr.2 160 Nr.3 163 Nr.4 160 > and there appears to be more power > >when climbing hills. > > Appears nothin' Harold. You've PROVED you have more power. You used someone > elses experiment and got the same results. That's CONFIRMATION of > consistant improvement in RESULTS. That's why Bentley has contacted Bob for > info. > > My question for Bob is, are all the problems associated with pressure only, > or are some of these lifters failing to seal and collapsing. Is it an air > bleed issue or is it an oil seal/valve issue or both. > > I have direct knowledge of 20 or so Wasserboxers. In every single case of a > tapping motor I have seen, a factory filter resolved the issue unless the > problem was tar in the crankcase and the lifters were obviously clogged. I > cured that one with a German crankcase cleaning treatment and the prob went > away in a 'coupla hundred miles and several years now with better lube > maintenance and no further probs. > > That's not a very big set, but big enough to make me think a bad batch of > lifters have come through a number of times. I have always used factory > setting and have yet to have a comeback for noisy lifters, unless, indeed, > they had a quickie oil change and a $1.63 by the gross perty colored > filter. Factory filter=immediate results. > > If they put Bob's revision to procedure in the Bentley, he will certainly > earn the title Neandereer. That's how you can tell. They're the one's that > write the book. > > Brovo Bob > T.P. Stephens > San Juan Island, WA

Doktor Tim thanks the hydraulic lifter problem I have seen has not been limited to any one brand of lifter. I deal mostly with freshly rebuilt engines and I think preloading new lifters can prevent the the traped air in the lifters from exiting. the symtoms vary from not starting hot to lower compression when the engine is warmed up. It may be that the air in the lifters expands when the engine warms up and keeps the valves from closing. when the valve does not touch the valve seat it burns. Daved Beierl suggested the valve spring pressures may be to low to for the lifter to self adjust or in some cases take any preload ever. Bob